Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sharp Copier Drum Scratches

Darla

Jan 12, 2010
Help! Is there anyway to fix scratches on the green area of a drum cartridge? Do they make a drum polish or wax or something that would fill the scratches? I don't want to make things worse, but these suckers are expensive to replace. Any words of wisdom?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I'm sorry to say that the equipment you'd need to fix that scratch would probably cost a 1000 times more than the drum.
The green stuff is a photoelectric sensitive material that is evaporated onto the drum under vacuum (afaIk).
In use in the copier it is first charged with static electricity, then it's illuminated by the image which makes it conduct and dissipate the static charge at the bright areas. Then it's passed over the toner (a plastic powder) which is drawn over to the drum at the dark (still static charged) areas. Then the paper is passed over the drum with a stronger static charge on the other side which makes the toner hop over onto the paper. Finally the toner is fused to the paper with hot silicone rollers.

I don't know about any selenium-sulphide paint, so the only real option for you apart from replacing the drum is to fill the scratch with an insulating varnish, which would make the scratch appear white on the paper instead of black.

Darla

Jan 12, 2010
Thanks so much Resqueline; I appreciate your knowledge!