Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Shaded Pole Fan Motor - Speed Control Question

BillV

Sep 18, 2012
I'm in agreement with Alec_t. If the problem is with the blade and the motor works OK, why not look for a replacement blade? McMaster-Carr has many. I'm sure that there are others.

Tenaya

Feb 27, 2017
Thanks, I'll chase them. These Chinese fan motors seem to be standardish, so it's likely that the shaft diameters are too.

Tenaya

Tenaya

Feb 27, 2017
OK, here's how this came out.

I decided to attempt to better balance the fan blade. Using a Dremel tool with sanding drum, I ran the fan slowly (clamped in the vise) and very carefully touched the outer rim. Since the blade isn't really round, only the edge of the blade contacted the sanding drum. After taking a tiny bit off, I removed the fan from the vise to see if the removal of this small amount of material had lessened the vibration any and it had, slightly.

By repeating this process, I was able to reduce the vibration quite a bit. As soon as material removal stopped reducing the vibration, I stopped, not wanting to go too far. The fan is also out of flat, causing its own vibration, but there's nothing I can do about that.

Then I reinstalled the fan into the oven. The oven still makes noise, but my family has pronounced it "good enough."

Thanks again to everyone who contributed their knowledge and expertise,

Tenaya