Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Second order filter - quadratic formula and standard normalized form

Jonathan56

Jan 3, 2017
Hi,

I have a question regarding corner frequency for second order filter.

I don't understand how I can have two roots in the denominator which will indicate two corner frequencies each of them at different frequency and with 20db/decade and the same transfer function express in standard normalized form (express with the quality factor) indicate only one corner frequency (power of two <=> 40db/decade).
2 corner frequency or one?

Example with an LCR filter - two-pole low-pass filter
s = jw and w = 2 x pi x F
G(s) = 1 / (1 + sL/R + s²LC) = 1 / (1 + sA + s²B) with A = L/R and B = LC
Quadratic formula
G(s) = 1 / [ ( 1 - s/s1 ) (1 - s/s2) ]
with s1/2 = -A/(2B) x [1 -/+ rsqt(1 - 4B/A)]

==> This indicates that there is two corner frequencies

standard normalized form
G(s) = 1 / [1 + s(Qw0) + (s/w0)²]

==> This indicates that there is only one corner frequency

The example above is taken from the book:
Fundamentals of Power Electronics SECOND EDITION
Robert W. Erickson and Dragan Maksimovic
page 282

Thank you for your help.
Jonathan

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This is not really a contradiction.
You can build a filter where the two corner frequencies are different, one for each order of the filter.
You can also build a filter where the two corner frequencies are identical, looking like a single corner frequency.

Think of a second order filter as a series connection of two first order filters where you can define the corner frequency of each filter individually.

Jonathan56

Jan 3, 2017
Thanks, I am not sure I understand correctly your answer.

I am talking about one same filter. LRC (L in serial with RC in parallel) Vout taken at RC

according the standard normalized form
Corner frequency = 1/ [2 x pi x sqrt (LC)] and Q = R x sqrt (C/L)
according the factorized form with the two roots (using the quadratic formula)
Corner frequency 1 = 1/(4 x pi x RLC) x [1 - sqrt(1 - 4R²C/L)]
Corner frequency 2 = 1/(4 x pi x RLC) x [1 + sqrt(1 - 4R²C/L)]

What is the corner frequency of the LRC filter?

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
Jonathan - why do you think that you would have two corner frequencies?
Just because you have found two roots?
That`s not logical.
Corner frequencies are defined for the magnitude response of a second order filter.
Now - you have to distinguish between two cases:

(a) Two REAL roots (poles of the function): In this case, you can (can !!) realize the filter with two first-order sections having two different corner frequencies. However, also a realization in one 2nd-order filter block is possible.

(b) When you decrease the degree of damping for the filter (smaller resistors) the two real poles approach each other until they form a double pole (Quality factor 0.5). If you further decrease damping the poles split up and form a conjugate-complex pole pair (equal real part and imag. part with different sign).
This gives a second-order filter with rather good selectivity (Butterworth or Chebyshev response) and a pole quality factor Qp>0.5. Such a filter has only one single cut-off frequency (but a pair of conjugate-complex poles).

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Jonathan - why do you think that you would have two corner frequencies?
Just because you have found two roots?
That`s not logical.
Corner frequencies are defined for the magnitude response of a second order filter.
Now - you have to distinguish between two cases:

(a) Two REAL roots (poles of the function): In this case, you can (can !!) realize the filter with two first-order sections having two different corner frequencies. However, also a realization in one 2nd-order filter block is possible.

(b) When you decrease the degree of damping for the filter (smaller resistors) the two real poles approach each other until they form a double pole (Quality factor 0.5). If you further decrease damping the poles split up and form a conjugate-complex pole pair (equal real part and imag. part with different sign).
This gives a second-order filter with rather good selectivity (Butterworth or Chebyshev response) and a pole quality factor Qp>0.5. Such a filter has only one single cut-off frequency (but a pair of conjugate-complex poles).

What makes you think that the "standard normalized form" has only one frequency?

Jonathan56.JPG

Ratch

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
What makes you think that the "standard normalized form" has only one frequency?
Ratch - is this question directed to me?
Are you saying that a second-order function (always) has TWO corner frequencies?
It has (for Qp>0.5) two poles (conjugate-complex) and ONE SINGLE corner frequeny.
Or did I misunderstood your reply?

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Ratch - is this question directed to me?
Are you saying that a second-order function (always) has TWO corner frequencies?
It has (for Qp>0.5) two poles (conjugate-complex) and ONE SINGLE corner frequeny.
Or did I misunderstood your reply?

Sorry, I meant for the reply to go to Jonathon56. I am saying that a quadratic equation has two solutions, not one as he stated.

Ratch

Jonathan56

Jan 3, 2017
Hi LvW and Ratch.

Thanks for your answers it makes me realise my mistake in my analyse.
To answer to the question of Ratch, indeed you are right, I was just to focus on the assunptotic behaviour to sketch the magnitude bode plot (but without the magnitude of the transfert function...).
I guess I was trying to take to much shortcut in my analyse. Lesson learned!

Thanks.

robertrichardr

Dec 2, 2022
An algebraic expression to the power of 2 is called a square formula. The general form of a quadratic formula calculator is ax2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b and c are also real numbers, also called "numerical coefficients," and ≠ 0. Below, x is the unknown variable we need to find the solution. We know that the quadratic formula is used to find the solution (or root) of the quadratic formula ax2 + bx + c = 0.