Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Scratching noise on volume button

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Hello all, I have 2 pieces of audio equipment with the very same symptoms [Numark Preamp and Digitech RDS 8000 Digital Delay], when I turn the volume knob the music cuts off and on with scratching noise, once I leave it alone the music plays fine no matter at which point the volume is, anything I can do myself to correct this problem please?

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Searching the net I found this video here:

where the guy is using Radio Shack Control Cleaner and lubricant:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...BoCA-IQAvD_BwE

What I would like to know is since isn't a radio shack store near me anymore, what else can I use to clean and lubricate the Potentiometer please which I might find locally?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The description states:
  • Ideal for telephones, PCs, relays, edge connectors, tape heads, buss bars, circuits, contacts, printed circuit boards, switches and circuit breakers
  • Safe to use on most plastics
Sounds good to me, but I do not have experience with this cleaner.

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Hmnn, might as well order the Radio Shack one online and wait for it.

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Well, I am not sure with this, if you can look at the attached pic please, seems to me the Output Level's knob Potentiometer is possibly soldered onto the circuit board so won't be able to use the spray? Also, I can't tell for sure if that is a hole where the red arrow is pointing? Only way to know for sure would be if I could turn it somehow.

https://s7.postimg.org/hdgc8qm2j/digi3.png

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
CRC, WD40, both have similar cleaning/ lubricating ability. One I used comes with a long thin tube that plugs into the nozzle allowing the lube to be directed into precise locations such as the slot adacent to the terminals on potentiometers.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You may have to remove (de-solder) the pot for cleaning.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Often, if you temporarily remove the knob, you can spray cleaner/lubricant into the potentiometer by directing the spray at the base of the shaft, where it enters the body of the potentiometer. Do this sparingly to avoid a mess, and test immediately after spraying by rotating the shaft back and forth.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
WD40 isn't really a lubricant but I use Vaseline (petroleum jelly) successfully as it is grease-like and gives the control a lovely smooth motion after application.

There is usually a gap between the body of the potentiometer and the material the track is mounted on (where the three pins exit the body) where lubricant/cleaner can be applied. I've managed to 'smear' a dollop across/in the gap and moving the mechanism does the rest.