Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Scary...

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
I drop into this forum occasionally and have a browse. I've even posted a couple of times. I have a lot of respect for the brave souls who respond to some of these posts - some of which are just downright scary!

I guess it boils down to basic electronics knowledge - or the lack of it. I mean you can't begrudge someone having an interest in electronics but not having the knowledge - we all started from zero. It's just that so often I feel like saying to the poster, "Go spend a couple of months learning basic electronics and then come back to the forum if you still have questions." Not an ideal response if you're trying to foster forum membership and cultivate an interest in our branch of science.

It strikes me that fundamental school education should contain a mandatory science element which includes electronics. Maybe it does already - it's been a while for me - but it doesn't seem particularly successful if some of the posts in this forum are anything to go by. I mean it really isn't difficult stuff - circuits, wires, batteries, switches, resistors, capacitors, voltage, current, ohm's law etc... is it?

And the amount of educational material available on the web is huge!!! Is it so hard to google to find explanations to give you a moderate understanding?

Not sure that this post needs a response. Just putting it out there. Having a whinge...

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I agree.
As I have noticed in all walks of life, some invariably think that study of basics is a waste of time and want to ride the express elevator to the top.
In my day, learning was trudging through masses of books to find answers and learning step by step and I must admit, the internet and the wealth of information is a tool I could not be without these days.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
The "wheat and chaff" problem with using the internet as a resource can only be overcome by the application of critical thinking. Unfortunately, most of the "express elevator" types have not acquired this life skill.

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
What scares me the most is mains. They think they flashed an LED from a PP3 and now they can do anything.
Right with you there, Adam. I think I was about 9 or 10 years old when I received my first decent electric shock. Had brought home a radio from the local repair shop dump. This is valve era 1960 or so. Had the thing apart and plugged in while i checked it out. Was showing my dad something - pointing - little finger contacted the top cap of one of the valves... KAPOW! Knocked both of us back a good foot or so. "What happened there?" asks dad. "I touched the valve cap". "Guess you won't do that again". Lesson learned. I was VERY cautious after that - great thing was that dad didn't stop me experimenting and learning. Mind you, that wasn't the last time I had a decent shock...

I'm not advocating this as a way to learn about the dangers of electricity but it sure as heck made me aware and cautious!! Luckily, I didn't get dead.

Interestingly, I've found that you can tell people something is dangerous as much as you like but until they've had a near miss it doesn't seem to sink in.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
you know here in Australia the police, as part of their training, get tasered, shot with a rubber bullet and pepper sprayed. psychologists are usually given a psychological evaluation.
I think that all amateur electronic techs should feel the pain of 3 phase going up your right arm. after that happened to me I have never treated it as something to "play" with. instead I know you respect it. (I was a dishpig in a former life, the element inside cracked, the "electrician" or untrained monkey they sent turned the power back on then couldn't find the issue, I assumed it was off and pointed to where the crack was........ then "OOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW you ****ing **** ***** **** *** ***** *** ***" edited for viewing by younger people lol)
also maybe we should have something at the top of the forums called "SAFETY WITH ELECTRONICS" detailing things like, don't touch the mains, turn crap off, have AC detector probe, insulate yourself etc etc etc

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I wouldn't say that we are brave souls, rather aficionados with time to kill.
My love of electricity may be exploited by someone too lazy to do their own basic research, but only because I enjoy taking about it.
I hear you though. How many hours of discussion have been donated for something like a 2 dollar pair of headphones?

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
I wouldn't say that we are brave souls

Well, I see an insane post which is responded to with somber reason only to have a response something like:

"I don't see why the people on this forum feel the need to lecture me on safety standards. All I need is the circuit. I have the 5Kv transformer and I just need to create a controlled explosion inside the speaker box and then have the voice coils glow red after about 20 seconds - this will simulate cannon fire on stage. I've been building circuits for years and I know all about safety. Besides, when I test this out, I'll be doing it in the bathroom standing in a tub full of water. So even if there are sparks, the water will put them out."

The next response is sheer bravery... :D

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I still wouldn't say that's bravery, I'd say that's being an accomplice to stupidity.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I believe the person replying to such a dangerous thread deserves to be admonished more so than the op.

Another thing that's sort of frustrating, is when someone solicits help here, and then never responds.

I find that quite rude.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
What scares me the most is mains. They think they flashed an LED from a PP3 and now they can do anything.
Even then..
Many people have worked on mains without even knowing how to light an LED. They find a picture or something online and assume they know what they are doing.

As far as school is concerned, High-Schools in Canada/BC do offer this kind of knowledge but only as an optional course(s).
Physics for Grade 11 covers voltage, current, and resistance to a basic extent, and some schools offer an Electronics course which usually involve making a simple circuit. (Line following robot or Rocket Launch controller)
Although, I do entirely agree that a portion of electrical safety should be mandatory... something other than a comic presented to pre-schoolers about why you should not stick a fork in the outlet.

This is precisely the reason this forum frowns on modifications to things like automobiles.
Take something who things they know what their doing, and have them accidentally tap into the airbag system...

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
...This is precisely the reason this forum frowns on modifications to things like automobiles...

Don't forget premises wiring.
Just because someone can pull wire and make the lights go on, doesn't mean its done safely. If someone unqualified wants to mess with the electronics in their stereo, they might zap themselves or blow a fuse. But if someone chooses to rewire their house because they read a diy book, they can burn down several houses and take a dozen lives.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
How do you know when it's safe to work on?
Do your initial safety checks and then get the wife to touch it!!

All jokes aside, you can walk around in a jacket with a wire hanging out the pocket. Say to anybody, "I dare you to touch it", they run away. Good boozer money maker!!..

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Don't forget premises wiring.
Just because someone can pull wire and make the lights go on, doesn't mean its done safely. If someone unqualified wants to mess with the electronics in their stereo, they might zap themselves or blow a fuse. But if someone chooses to rewire their house because they read a diy book, they can burn down several houses and take a dozen lives.
I'm quite concerned with that... Particularly because used homes have all sorts of modifications that you can't really see unless you rip a wall down or dismantle electrical plugs and switches.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I'm quite concerned with that... Particularly because used homes have all sorts of modifications that you can't really see unless you rip a wall down or dismantle electrical plugs and switches.
Very true, although there are couple things that can be checked. One is using a thermal camera with circuits under load, and the other is performing an insulation test with a megger. Beyond that you are right. Who knows whats lurking behind the walls.

A practice I don't like, is people relying solely on the opinions of a home inspector. Some are quite on the ball at finding problems, but many don't know enough about an electrical systems to identify a problem. Even ashi certified members.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I am not going to name names here. but I do know a person with the exact same last name as mine...... who does his own house hold wiring..... on the plus side I did make sure his life insurance was to be paid out to me and does cover him being a stupid ****hole by doing such a dangerous practise.
I am firmly of the opinion that no matter what a person says on here I look to their activity. if I see next to no posts and a thread like "how do I rewire this 2000v 800amp tramsformer while its on?" or anything that just sounds stupid and dangerous I leave it, this is due to the fact that I cannot guarantee that what they consider "experience" is anything more than "i have used a power switch before". even with 50years of turning on a power point, my father still won't touch mains.... a lesson the other person with the same last name as mine should learn

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Excellent point.
It's disturbing that so many people take advice from forums similar to this as fact. They simply follow some self proclaimed "expert" or vip member, without doing any research on their own, or soliciting the opinions of others.

There are countless people with some knowledge to offer some level of help, but they are ignorant to the fact that what they don't know or omit in their advice can have catastrophic results.