Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Rotel rx203 receiver

Terryb

Jan 29, 2018
i can’t change the radio stations on my workshop receiver. The knob turns but won’t change stations. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Probably a snapped dial cord. The tuning knob has a cord wrapped around it that moves the scale pointer and the tuning capacitor. If the cord snaps you lose this ability.

It can be difficult to fix if you don't know the correct threading route - the technical manual should reveal this though - but it could be a broken plastic part on the 'wheel' attached to the tuning capacitor.

Take the cover off and, without jiggling the unit around too much (or turning it upside down) post a picture of the insides and we'll go from there. Try not to move the cord at all.

Terryb

Jan 29, 2018
Probably a snapped dial cord. The tuning knob has a cord wrapped around it that moves the scale pointer and the tuning capacitor. If the cord snaps you lose this ability.

It can be difficult to fix if you don't know the correct threading route - the technical manual should reveal this though - but it could be a broken plastic part on the 'wheel' attached to the tuning capacitor.

Take the cover off and, without jiggling the unit around too much (or turning it upside down) post a picture of the insides and we'll go from there. Try not to move the cord at all.
I’ve since took the cover off. The string isn’t broke. When I turn the knob the string just slides on the brass knob shaft. I can move the tuner and then turn the knob and it works but then stops working. It like something is binding at times. Is there a way to lube it? Thanks for your help.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Do not "lube" anything. Spring may have broken or unattached. Do as kellyseye suggested.

Terryb

Jan 29, 2018

I got the tuner to move and put it on the only station I listen to in my workroom. I’m just going to leave it on that station. Thanks for your help.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Terryb . . . . .

I feel that your situation is 43 years of time and possible tension decrease of 2 coil springs, plus a dial cord polishing plus 3 1/4 turns of coils of loops of the dial cord around a 1/4 inch tuning knob shaft.
With the day one condition of that tuning shaft being a MATTE surface, but in the interim use time, it has transitioned its peripheral surface to a glass slick and smoothly POLISHED shaft.
The easiest fix now, without a teardown, would be the luck of you having some liquid rosin flux as is used for electrical / electronics soldering.

The next best hope if you do not have such flux is to get a rosin ball droplet from a donor pine tree, and dissolve with denatured alcohol.
( OR do you, or an acquaintance play the fiddle ? . . . . .a . . . la . . . rosin for its bow. )

Place on a Q-tip and apply to the 3 1/4 turns and wait until the knob starts gripping and can move the dial enough to get another fresh 3 turns of dial cord dampened . . . . . repeat until end of dial cord travel is reached.
Then you back track and cover the treatment of any earlier dial cord, that did not get treated.
Move the dial every 5 min or so until its rosin treatment dries, so that no lock down could occur.

If you ever want to peel the WHOLE banana, here is its dial cord stringing info.

Re . . .
I listen to in my workroom
Now if that workroom involves woodworking and airborne "micro" sawdust . . I can see recurring problems.

HOWTODOITTOIT . . . .

upload_2018-1-30_2-24-7.png

73's de Edd

Last edited: