Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ring Light LEDs ???

sixpak

Sep 25, 2013
I would like to build a ring light for my mill, but I am not sure what type of LEDs to use. I have attached a concept model for discussion. The model shows 5mm LEDs, but I am open to other ideas. Whatever I use should be bright, dimmable and able to hold up in water/coolant. The ID of the light should be 3 1/2 inches. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Drew

Attachments

• Ring Light.JPG
    Ring Light.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 92

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Your most difficult task will be to waterproof it!

Any size/colour/shape LED will work - there's a simple formula to calculate the voltage, current and dropper resistance (if used).
LED dimmers are all over the web - consider using LED 'tape' as this can be purchased in 'waterproof' varieties and have a standard 12V supply requirement.
How about using RGB LEDs to vary the lighting colour (if this helps?) - such tapes are also available and they have remote controls associated with them too.

sixpak

Sep 25, 2013
kellys_eye,

Thank you for your prompt response. Waterproofing won't be a problem. I will fabricate the ring from 6061-T4 AL with a Buna-N O-ring seal (https://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=18jbzk6). I will pot the wires into the ring, similar to how they pot buck converters, marine bilge floats and the like. If the LEDs are glass and not plastic, clear silicone will do the trick. Otherwise I will have to fabricate and fit a glass ring to protect them.

I have used LED tape (red, like aircraft instrument cockpit lighting) with a dimmer lighting my PC keyboard and when I built my PC I used the same lighting to light the inside of the cabinet, albeit blue lights. Unfortunately, they are just not bright enough for their intended use.

If you have any other thoughts, please share. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Drew

Attachments

• 2017-07-17 09.46.13.jpg
    2017-07-17 09.46.13.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 2017-07-17 09.46.20.jpg
    2017-07-17 09.46.20.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 89

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Not sure if you'll find a 'glass' LED anywhere - encapsulation is, obviously, something you've got covered so I'll not mention that subject.

There are already ring light LEDs around (bare PCBs with the LEDs fitted) but dimensionally....??? Not sure what you need or what's on the market in that respect. Worth a quick Google though.

What you need to consider is the target area for illumination though. All LEDs have set beam patterns and your choice may be dependent on the focal length or spread of light you need. The beam shape is often formed by the moulded plastic package the LED die is set into therefore you might need to also consider the way they are to be encapsulated - such encapsulation would affect the beam pattern perhaps.

Then there's the heat issue - LEDs hate excess heat. If your light requirement is particularly high then the associated heat needs to go somewhere. Choosing the 'right' LED (in terms of efficiency, colour, beam width, package dissipation etc) could take time!

Worth it though....

sixpak

Sep 25, 2013
You won't believe what I just found! It's new on the market and I did not know about it. What's more, it's made specifically for my CNC mill and it's only $32, plus shipping. It would cost me more to design my concept than to purchase this one. The only drawback is that it is not waterproof. However, after reading the article in the link, they apparently do not have a problem with coolant. I will follow-up as soon as I receive it. Thanks to all.

Respectfully,

Drew

https://www.tormach.com/blog/a-bright-idea-nichia-superbright-led-ring-lights-now-available/

Attachments

• Tormach Ring Light.JPG
    Tormach Ring Light.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 156