Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RGB Led cube and more..

ASiiMO

Nov 12, 2016
Hello people,
I am Julian, and I am 14 years old.
And I am new to this forum so im gonna make alot of mistakes I'm sorry.
I am from the Netherlands and we don't have alot of electronic shops etc.
I am also new to electronic circuits and stuff.

I am wanting to build a led cube, especially a rgb led cube, but I don't want to spend a lot of money, I'd like to spend around 10-25€ if that is possible, I want to use a arduino zero? If that's something, it's the very small version of the arduino, knockoff or not, doesn't matter.
I want to program it and it has to be rgb like 0-255 red, 0-255 green and 0-255 blue, so I can make alot of colors, rainbow s and animations. (And especially a lot of fun, and show it to my friends)

What size should I go for ? 5x5x5, 125 leds? I really don't know, help is very apriciated. (Sorry for my English)
And I don't know how i start this 'project' I am beginner, I do have alot of computer knowledge and programming but none of microcontrollers etc.

Thanks for your time
-Julian

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Start with a 3D LED Light Squared DIY Kit 8x8x8 3mm LED Cube White LED Blue/Green/Red/Yellow for $16.00, delivered to your front door. The LEDs do not change colour but they produce all sorts of different patterns and effects. You can select: blue, green red or yellow LEDs when you buy the kit.
Or you can buy your own LEDs and mix them.
s-l1600.jpg

ASiiMO

Nov 12, 2016
Start with a 3D LED Light Squared DIY Kit 8x8x8 3mm LED Cube White LED Blue/Green/Red/Yellow for $16.00, delivered to your front door. The LEDs do not change colour but they produce all sorts of different patterns and effects. You can select: blue, green red or yellow LEDs when you buy the kit.
Or you can buy your own LEDs and mix them.
s-l1600.jpg
Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'd also recommend you read this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Led-Cube-8x8x8/step1/Software-Effect-launcher/

Understand the complexity of a 1 bit 8x8x8 cube, and then contemplate that you are asking for a 24bit 8x8x8 cube.

Not only will the wiring be 3 times as complex (for the three colors) but you need to transfer 24 times the amount of information for each frame (1.5k vs 64 bytes)

NMNeil

Oct 3, 2014
I highly recommend the Youtube channel of Great Scott. I learn a great deal from him.