Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RF transmitter and receiver module setup

JBlackout

Dec 24, 2013
I've just bought a transmitter and receiver module set, like the ones linked (pic would not load sorry) . These, I have since found out, seem to be intended as Arduino addons, but I was was wondering if it was possible to wire them into a far simpler, standalone circuit, just to transmit a simple signal to an led or relay. Rundown of abbreviations, on the three pin transmitter- Atad,VCC, Grnd., and on the four pin receiver, Gnd, Data, Data, VCC. Thanks in advance, and apologies if a stupid question.
http://halx.co.uk/rf-transmitter-receiver-pair-434mhz-en.html

Last edited:

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
Those modules are not specific to arduino, they can be used with any type of control.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Merry Christmas.

Those modules allow you to send a "1", but not a "0". To get the equivalent of "o", the absence of a signal needs to be short enough that the AGC doesn't increase the gain to let the noise through.

Because of that, if you're not transmitting something, you get noise at the output.

So you can't use them as an ON/OFF control (simply) by either sending a continuous signal or none at all.

The simplest option is to use a variable duty cycle square wave at the transmitter end (a 555 could do this), and at the receiver detect pulses greater or less than a certain duration. You could do that with a pair of 555's but I'd probably use a slightly different (and simpler) method.

You will require electronics at either end.

Oh, maybe simpler, you could use the output to switch a transistor controlling a LED. You could change the duty cycle of the led (with the same transmitter circuit as mentioned above). However the LED would get dimmer, but not turn off.