Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reprogramming ESP8266 Sonof

Dunny

Jun 2, 2018
Hi all,

I am a more or less complete newbie with electronics and micro-controllers and I have been trying to replace the firmware on a Sonof switch which is based on a ESP8266. I have connected up a USB to serial adapter and have manged to firstly power the Sonof up and then successfully upload a sketch from the Arduino IDE. The trouble is whilst it successfully appears to upload (I was uploading Blink) it doesn't appear to work. I thought I may have got the TX/RX connections the wrong way around but it doesn't appear to be possible to do this and still get the sketch to upload.

I may well have bricked the switch now and so have ordered 2 more - don't want to brick them too.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

D

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My advice is to stick to simpler things before you try more complex ones.

At my local hackerspace we recently teamed up to help someone who wanted to use an ESP8266 for a relatively trivial project. What would have been relatively trivial with an Arduino turned out to be a nightmare of chasing down problems with interrupt modes and watchdog times and level converters.

Using the ESP8366 module is getting easier, but I'd no longer recommend them to people without significant experience.

The first and most obvious question is "Does the pin you're manipulating actually have a LED connected to it?"

The next thing if note is that if you didn't get errors while uploading, then you almost certainly uploaded something.

And then I'd ask for the exact ESP6266 model, how you're powering it, how you're programming it, and for detailed pictures of your circuit along with the schematic and links to more information about the board. Also, the source code (within code tags) and a link to where you got it (if applicable). If you write the code yourself I want to see comments. If it's the standard blink example, tell us that too, but still post the code.

Dunny

Jun 2, 2018
Hi all - just to say I have resolved this issue now and it turns out that the later Sonof switches needed a tweak to the configuration to use DOUT as the flash mode.