Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacement Wire

Mishtipaan

Jun 14, 2017
Good afternoon,
I would really appreciate any advice you can give me. I am trying to find a replacement for the sounders wire (shown in picture).
I have tried my local electronics shop and searching myself online but I can't find what I'm looking for.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3794.JPG
    IMG_3794.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 65

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I am trying to find a replacement for the sounders wire (shown in picture).

hi there
welcome :)

nowhere near enough info
I assume you are referring to those blue and "white" wires
what environmental conditions will they be subjected to ? ......
include into on, water --- fresh? salt?; oils? ; acids?
temperature conditions? and anything else that may be applicable

what sort of signal will the wires be carrying ?
what voltage and current ?
does it need to be shielded from external RF noise sources ?
how long will the wire runs be ?

Mishtipaan

Jun 14, 2017
hi there
welcome :)

nowhere near enough info
I assume you are referring to those blue and "white" wires
what environmental conditions will they be subjected to ? ......
include into on, water --- fresh? salt?; oils? ; acids?
temperature conditions? and anything else that may be applicable

what sort of signal will the wires be carrying ?
what voltage and current ?
does it need to be shielded from external RF noise sources ?
how long will the wire runs be ?
Thanks Dave

So it's the red wire. It's in my smoke alarm and it's broken. I was just looking for a replacement. To service is would cost £150, so I'm simply going to replace it myself if I can.

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
That's not a wire, it's a resistor. The lead has broken off one end.
Take it to an electronics shop and ask for a new one, should cost a few cents.
Make sure you know which screws it attached to.

Be sure all the power is switched off when you remove and replace it, just to be safe.

Mishtipaan

Jun 14, 2017
That's not a wire, it's a resistor. The lead has broken off one end.
Take it to an electronics shop and ask for a new one, should cost a few cents.
Make sure you know which screws it attached to.

Be sure all the power is switched off when you remove and replace it, just to be safe.
So it's a resistor Awesome thanks. I took it to my local electronic store but they could not help. I will search online to see if I can get it there.
Thanks for the tips, It will be so easy to change once I get the part.

turbogt16v

Mar 27, 2015
If its green red orange brown 52kohm
Grern red red brown 5.2kohm

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Mishtipaan, the little section of circuit board shown in your picture looks like part of the control panel of a smoke/fire alarm system, with two wires going to a sounder. It's hard to tell from your picture, but it looks like there are terminals to run a wire pair to each of 2 sounders, "2" and "1" reading left to right. Only sounder "1" is connected.

It's hard to tell from your picture where the resistor is/was connected. If the broken resistor was connected to the unused (no wires) terminals for sounder "2", then you're okay: You can just replace it. If I'm right, your system interface (usually a keypad with display) is showing a Sounder Trouble of some sort.
On the other hand, if it was connected to sounder "1", the terminal pair being used, then you should mention it, because it's important. I won't get into why unless that's the case.

I'm only familiar with control panels used in North America, but if you can give me a brand and model number for your control panel, then I can probably look up the resistor you need. There are two values to shop for, the resistance and the Watts rating. That looks like a 1/8 W resistor, and that would be typical for North American panels, but it can be hard to tell from a picture. I just don't know the terminal screw size of that unfamiliar panel.

EDIT: In North America, those control panels usually are inside a steel cabinet with a wiring diagram inside the door, which will usually show the resistors used--they're called "End of Line Resistors" (EOLR), and the values are usually named on the diagram.