Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacement Capacitor

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Most likely universal, those cap values seem to low for split phase induction, besides electrolytic are not used for AC run caps.
Can you tell if there is any other electronics for varying the speed, or is there a electro-mechanical speed controller on it?
M.

Guy Nicholls

Oct 23, 2015
Guy,
Is the unit working as it is now?
How many speeds does it have?
Any Variable speed control?

Hi dorks

No the unit isn't working as it is, no sign of life! It has a variable rheostat marked from 0 through 8 to Max but is not a switch, just continuously variable.

Regards

Guy
I am no expert by any means. But it does look like a switch.
It could be a centrifugal switch. But as @dorke pointed out, maybe the values are too small.

I am still searching parts for you unit. Not getting very far BTW.
I never give up!!

Martin

Hi Martin

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Guy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 112

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Is there any sign of any electronic components other than the Pot and the caps?
M.

Guy Nicholls

Oct 23, 2015
Is there any sign of any electronic components other than the Pot and the caps?
M.

Hi M

No, it is very mechanical, I can see one Capacitor and a resistor, that's it.
Most likely universal, those cap values seem to low for split phase induction, besides electrolytic are not used for AC run caps.
Can you tell if there is any other electronics for varying the speed, or is there a electro-mechanical speed controller on it?
M.

Hi M

It's very mechanical. Pictures show on off switch in both positions

Regards

Guyimage.jpgimage.jpg
Guy,
Look at the pic and please confirm the question marks View attachment 22765
Guy,
Look at the pic and please confirm the question marks View attachment 22765

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Think you will find it is a suppressor cap.
Green wire to the frame and the other two across the speed control unit.(points)
I think the speed control will work similar to the Sunbeam mixers.
They have a speed governor shaft coming from the armature centre with bob-weight arrangement. this in turn pushes against a set of pre-loaded contacts (via the knob setting)
There should also be a power suppressor resistor adjacent to the cap to assist in spark suppression on the speed control contacts which in operation are continually "buzzing" to maintain speed at the set level.
Sunbeam adjust the speed control internally however it appears this unit moves the whole rear end unit , bakolite frame, suspended cap, the works in and out as the speed control knob is adjusted. Hence the spring mounting.
Motor itself is a standard series motor, with the speed control points in series with the supply.

Guy Nicholls

Oct 23, 2015
Think you will find it is a suppressor cap.
Green wire to the frame and the other two across the speed control unit.(points)
I think the speed control will work similar to the Sunbeam mixers.
They have a speed governor shaft coming from the armature centre with bob-weight arrangement. this in turn pushes against a set of pre-loaded contacts (via the knob setting)
There should also be a power suppressor resistor adjacent to the cap to assist in spark suppression on the speed control contacts which in operation are continually "buzzing" to maintain speed at the set level.
Sunbeam adjust the speed control internally however it appears this unit moves the whole rear end unit , bakolite frame, suspended cap, the works in and out as the speed control knob is adjusted. Hence the spring mounting.
Motor itself is a standard series motor, with the speed control points in series with the supply.

Hi Bluejets

Thank you for that, you are right about the rear of the unit adjusting up and down with the speed setting. I wondered how that worked. If this is a suppressor cap, should the unit work without it? As it isn't working, does this indicate a further fault do you think?

Regards

Guy

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
That's all affirmative, as labelled, very impressed!

Guy
Guy,
1.It is a mixer not a food processor ;)
2.the cap is definitely an RFI filter cap ,the Mixer should work without it.
3.The Mixer is fed by only 2 ac line wires (L,N)
4.I see 4 wires going to the motor,is this correct?
5.look at the new pic ,please fill the green (?) food-caps.jpg

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
We have an older Sunbeam mixer that works on a centrifugal/governor switch arrangement, the control is on the rear and moves the contact in or out to adjust the centrifugal speed.
The caps are probably for arc suppression.
Lack of operation is often due to the contact points suffering with age due to arcing.
Especially if the caps failed.
M.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
a701a_refurb1.png

This might help.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
BTW, if you want to test the motor, just connect it across the AC supply input, Universal motor operates both on AC and DC.
With the field in series with the armature.
M.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
If the motor is not working at all at present, best to trace through the wiring.
Start with the supply lead and plug, through to the switches, speed control governor points and finally through the motor itself.
You could use the wiring chart shown above and although the above may contain components that yours does not, the basics will be the same.
Switches such as the one shown in your pic for example have a habit of "clicking" and one thinks they are ok when in fact they do not make contact due to the dried out lube they used initially or maybe even verdigrease build-up (green muck)which is usually associated with copper but one never knows with brass and copper in close proximity.
Check carbon brushes are not worn to the point where they no further make contact.Be careful and use a tool that fully engages the slots in the bakolite caps otherwise you can quite easily snap the cap in half.
Blown capacitor may have caused just enough surge to have blown open one of the field windings if they were "on the verge" so to speak , after many years of service. Wiring size in the fields is very fine afterall.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Blown capacitor may have caused just enough surge to have blown open one of the field windings if they were "on the verge" so to speak , after many years of service. Wiring size in the fields is very fine afterall.
Really,? o_O
Not from my experience with Universal motors.
The current through the armature is equal to the field current?
M.

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
It is from a very old Kenwood food processor
What model? I have an old Chef the speed control is mechanical/ variable Governor contacts. I have seen caps like yours with a through lead and a resistor/capacitor to neutral.Oh and its brushed/universal.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Hi Dorke,

Sorry it took awhile to get back. Edited picture attached, thanks for your advice/assistance.

Regards

Guy

Guy,
Do you have a DMM :700 AC volts and Resistance measurements?
or Do you have a live line tester?

Guy Nicholls

Oct 23, 2015
Guy,
Do you have a DMM :700 AC volts and Resistance measurements?
or Do you have a live line tester?

Hi Dorke

Sorry, no I am afraid not. However, further investigation this afternoon revealed an open cct wire and I now have an operational mixer, albeit without suppression!

Regards

Guy