Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replace variable capacitor with varicap

michael1978

Mar 17, 2012
Hi, to everoyne,
i post before this circuits am receiver, wich i take from one site(is for experiment), can somebody tell me, how to replace variable capacitor with varicap IN THIS CIRCUIT , to remove variable capacitor, I have varicap BB112
receiver.png

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Replace VC1 with a series circuit consisting of your varicap (cathode to the 'top') and a capacitor.

Apply your tuning voltage to the junction of the two via a series current limiting resistor (100k will do).

The tuning range you get will depend on the capacitive swing of the varicap (depends on the voltage range you apply to it) and the value of the series capacitor - you effectively have TWO capacitors in series with a consequent reduction on overall value, something for YOU to calculate!

michael1978

Mar 17, 2012
Replace VC1 with a series circuit consisting of your varicap (cathode to the 'top') and a capacitor.

Apply your tuning voltage to the junction of the two via a series current limiting resistor (100k will do).

The tuning range you get will depend on the capacitive swing of the varicap (depends on the voltage range you apply to it) and the value of the series capacitor - you effectively have TWO capacitors in series with a consequent reduction on overall value, something for YOU to calculate!
i will try, this my circuitsreceiver1.png

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You need to couple it to the inductor via a capacitor. And, unless you use a separate isolated supply, you need two capacitors, one on either side of the inductor / varicap. Choose capacitors much larger than the capacitance of the varicap (say 100nF) so that it will not effect the range of the varicap by much.

Bob

michael1978

Mar 17, 2012
You need to couple it to the inductor via a capacitor. And, unless you use a separate isolated supply, you need two capacitors, one on either side of the inductor / varicap. Choose capacitors much larger than the capacitance of the varicap (say 100nF) so that it will not effect the range of the varicap by much.

Bob
hello yu mean between inductor IN SERIE wth capacitor c2 100n, but i think is not working, i hear low and high noise, but i cant pick up and station ;-ç

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Yes, I missed that on the schematic, which was too small to read easily.

Are you using a separate isolated supply for V4?

Bob

michael1978

Mar 17, 2012
receiver2.png
Yes, I missed that on the schematic, which was too small to read easily.

Are you using a separate isolated supply for V4?

Bob
I use, like in internet i found, you can look the circuits i posted, I isolate with with 1M OHM , look the change i make

Last edited:

michael1978

Mar 17, 2012

i put two capacitor in serie, but i dont know ow to select value?,

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir michael1978 . . . . .

NO can do . . . . your C7 install shown will kill / block any required DC base bias from getting to Q1.

With no RF experience . . . . . .I really-really-REALLY think that you should get this circuit operative with conventional L-C components in the tuned circuit portion. And knowing that you have working circuitry, you could THEN attempt the incorporation of varactor tuning.

Tell us all about the . . . . . . . . .

L1 coil that you have constructed to use.
Is it on a ferrite rod?
Is it wound with magnet wire or Litz wire ?
How many turns is on it . . . . is it spaced out turn by turn or scramble wound into a bobbin ?
What gauge of wire ?
I am assuming that the band being covered is the conventional Broadcast band of ~550-1600 Khz ?

If low cost is a major consideration . . . .
Do you realize that you can make your own single section circular variable condenser with two blank sheets of common 1 oz, single sided copper PCB stock and the thin plastic from a clear sheet page protector . . . which is a much more efficient dielectric than air is.
A tuning shaft and a small compression spring keeps the plates pressed together. . . and THEN . . . spread on a thin coating of silicone grease / oil as the MAGICAL rotational agent and then affix the tuning knob to the shaft.

OR . . . . . after your feedback on the inductor . . . . . and if you are using a ferrite rod, I can fill you in on how to use a fixed mica capacitor and make the inductor variable , in order to accomplish the tuning.

Thaaaaaaaaatsit . . . . .

73's de Edd

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The circuit is missing an AM detector diode and is also missing an audio power amplifier.
The transistors simply amplify and are probably overloaded by the radio frequency of an AM station.

michael1978

Mar 17, 2012
The circuit is missing an AM detector diode and is also missing an audio power amplifier.
The transistors simply amplify and are probably overloaded by the radio frequency of an AM station.
thanks audioguru...........

michael1978

Mar 17, 2012
Sir michael1978 . . . . .

NO can do . . . . your C7 install shown will kill / block any required DC base bias from getting to Q1.

With no RF experience . . . . . .I really-really-REALLY think that you should get this circuit operative with conventional L-C components in the tuned circuit portion. And knowing that you have working circuitry, you could THEN attempt the incorporation of varactor tuning.

Tell us all about the . . . . . . . . .

L1 coil that you have constructed to use.
Is it on a ferrite rod?
Is it wound with magnet wire or Litz wire ?
How many turns is on it . . . . is it spaced out turn by turn or scramble wound into a bobbin ?
What gauge of wire ?
I am assuming that the band being covered is the conventional Broadcast band of ~550-1600 Khz ?

If low cost is a major consideration . . . .
Do you realize that you can make your own single section circular variable condenser with two blank sheets of common 1 oz, single sided copper PCB stock and the thin plastic from a clear sheet page protector . . . which is a much more efficient dielectric than air is.
A tuning shaft and a small compression spring keeps the plates pressed together. . . and THEN . . . spread on a thin coating of silicone grease / oil as the MAGICAL rotational agent and then affix the tuning knob to the shaft.

OR . . . . . after your feedback on the inductor . . . . . and if you are using a ferrite rod, I can fill you in on how to use a fixed mica capacitor and make the inductor variable , in order to accomplish the tuning.

Thaaaaaaaaatsit . . . . .

73's de Edd
Mr, thanks fo time writting to me, the capacitor c7 is wrong i know, and i use axial inductor, and i hear noise, for more.....i asked to many times here, and other forums, about variable capacitor, but is difficult to find and expensive and they dont use anymore, now they use varicap, so i decide to learn varicap, what to do ............beter with moderne time ;-)

michael1978

Mar 17, 2012
Mr, thanks fo time writting to me, the capacitor c7 is wrong i know, and i use axial inductor, and i hear noise, for more.....i asked to many times here, and other forums, about variable capacitor, but is difficult to find and expensive and they dont use anymore, now they use varicap, so i decide to learn varicap, what to do ............beter with moderne time ;-)

So is dificcult to learn varicap, and also is difficult to make capacitor and tunning coil?

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
What is difficult about a varicap? You simply apply a reverse bias voltage and the amount of voltage determines its capacitance.
What is difficult about a simple LC tuned circuit? They resonate at their calculated frequency.

You probably hear the noise made by the transistors that have nothing to limit their gain. The first and third transistors have a voltage gain of about 170 times and the second transistor is an emitter-follower with a gain of 1. Then the total gain is 170 x 1 x 170= 28,900 times. Your earphone is killing the gain of the third transistor.

michael1978

Mar 17, 2012
What is difficult about a varicap? You simply apply a reverse bias voltage and the amount of voltage determines its capacitance.
What is difficult about a simple LC tuned circuit? They resonate at their calculated frequency.

You probably hear the noise made by the transistors that have nothing to limit their gain. The first and third transistors have a voltage gain of about 170 times and the second transistor is an emitter-follower with a gain of 1. Then the total gain is 170 x 1 x 170= 28,900 times. Your earphone is killing the gain of the third transistor.
THNX man, and you need to add audio power amplifier? for example like LM386 and a small speaker? right? of what do you think to do can you tell me pleaase......

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
An audio amplifier is used to play a high impedance audio signal source into a low impedance transducer like an earphone or a speaker. An LM386 is designed to drive an earphone or a speaker.
But your circuit does not demodulate the radio signal so it has no audio. A demodulator for AM is a detector diode that your circuit is missing.

michael1978

Mar 17, 2012
An audio amplifier is used to play a high impedance audio signal source into a low impedance transducer like an earphone or a speaker. An LM386 is designed to drive an earphone or a speaker.
But your circuit does not demodulate the radio signal so it has no audio. A demodulator for AM is a detector diode that your circuit is missing.
so he need demulator, sorry audiogurru i realy dont understand, why somebody can lie, is workinig?

thnx