Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing a Premier Health Products PHP 2026 / 2027 Massage Chair

desertrider

Apr 18, 2017
Repairing a Premier Health Products PHP 2026 / 2027 Massage Chair:

I have included all service manuals attached here for this chair hoping this will help someone in the future but below is the most common problem & how to dissemble, where to get part.

Most common problem is when ALL the massage chair motors e.g. recline, Kneading, Tapping, elevation no longer work - you will notice the vibration will work.

This problem is from the donut shaped Toroid / Toroidal Transformer that powers all the motors. Attached are all the service manuals and disassembly instructions along with where to buy the part.

1. The original PHP 2026 Toroidal transformer has a single primary 110V (60Hz), dual 2x 24Vac secondary TAPS @ 16AMPs or 336VA
2. OD = Outside Diameter = 96mm (3.78”) and H = Height = 74mm (2.91”)
3. Was impossible to find a US made Toroid with this OD of 96mm – the OD must be exact to fit inside the cover or fit on the main PCB – you can find one with correct voltages but it will not fit.
4. I contacted a Toroid / Toroidal China Manufacturer (they make almost all Toroid’s in China) and they will make a custom Toroid for $50USD + $29USD=$79USD
5. The China company sells Toroid / Toroidal Transformers on eBay (been around for while) and their contact is Seller information:
a. eBay = diytalent86
b. e-mail = [email protected]
c. If seller does not exist then just look for any China Toroid / Toroidal manufacturer on eBay and contact them as they will custom make this Toroid for you - expect to wait 1 month for the part as it ships from China.

Given the US is 120Vac & the preferred output is 24Vac I decided to have the new Toroid made to meet the best input / output
Here are the SPECS in having a new custom Toroid I got made for $79.00USD:
1. (1x) Single Primary INPUT = 120Vac (US Voltage) – this can be between 110Vac to 120Vac
2. US Frequency = 60Hz
3. (2x) Dual 24Vac Secondary OUTPUT – this can output between 21-24Vac
4. Approximately 300VA to 400VA – Anywhere in this range – PHP 2026 is 336VA / 16AMP
5. Toroid OD = Outside Diameter = 96.5mm (must be 96.5mm or LESS)
6. Toroid H = Height = 73 mm – must be 73mm or less
7. There are six (6) wires coming out of the PHP 2026 Toroid:
a. Primary INPUT = Black / White is 120Vac
b. 1st SECONDARY OUTPUT = Yellow / Yellow = 24Vac (about 168VA)
c. 2nd SECONDARY OUTPUT = Blue / Blue = 24Vac (about 168VA)
d. Total SECONDARY OUTPUT MAX from original Toroid is 336VA @ 24Vac (each leg is 168VA MAX * 2 = 336VA PEAK) – this chair will not use this much the that is the rating on the original Toroid.
e. Chair will probably work find with any Toroid with power output of 200VA-400VA – I had my custom made to output PEAK 330VA.
d. This is Toroid known as a single primary with dual secondary = INPUT 110/115/120, OUTPUT 24-0-24

I have included pictures showing the measurements & label on the existing PHP 2026 Toroid Transformer.

The other attached service manuals will help you with other issues with this massage chair

desertrider

Attachments

• main-PCB-board.pdf
    159 KB · Views: 468
  • PHP_2026-27-HOW_TO_REMOVE_PCB_boardassembly-replace.pdf
    385.8 KB · Views: 608
  • diagnostic steps for 2026 & 2027 main PCB_Reduced_Size.pdf
    811.3 KB · Views: 517
  • PHP2026_2027_technical_diagnostic_procedure_Pages_01-08.pdf
    889.9 KB · Views: 391
  • PHP2026_2027_technical_diagnostic_procedure_Pages_08-12.pdf
    898 KB · Views: 399
  • PHP2026_2027_technical_diagnostic_procedure_Pages_13-18.pdf
    736 KB · Views: 368
  • PHP_2026-2027_TOROID_MOUNTED_Resize_53%.jpg
    PHP_2026-2027_TOROID_MOUNTED_Resize_53%.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 637
  • PHP_2026-2027_TOROID_LABEL_Resize_60%.jpg
    PHP_2026-2027_TOROID_LABEL_Resize_60%.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 536
  • PHP_2026-2027_TOROID_OD=96.28mm_Resize_60%.jpg
    PHP_2026-2027_TOROID_OD=96.28mm_Resize_60%.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 530
  • PHP_2026-2027_TOROID_HEIGHT=73.03mm_Resize_60%.jpg
    PHP_2026-2027_TOROID_HEIGHT=73.03mm_Resize_60%.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:

Rodney Carter

Aug 6, 2017
Hi desert rider, My Premier back massager will recline, but it won't retract from recline without pushing hard on it to get it back into position. Could you give me your opinion on a fix? I have no clue what I'm doing. Thanks for your post!!!

desertrider

Apr 18, 2017
Hi desert rider, My Premier back massager will recline, but it won't retract from recline without pushing hard on it to get it back into position. Could you give me your opinion on a fix? I have no clue what I'm doing. Thanks for your post!!!

Is the motor working when you try to retract the recline? If the motor is working then I would look for the wire cable that runs down the side (Left Side When sitting in chair just up from bottom runs along the metal frame next to recliner) and if it is getting stuck between the recliner & metal frame - this wire is supposed to be tied off but if it has come loose and is getting torn or stuck in the recliner better get it out of the way fast or it will get cut in half - this cable is the wires that control the chair.

Otherwise you need to look at the service manuals I have attached in my above post and follow the troubleshooting for your issue.

Good Luck
desertrider

kevin buickerood

Nov 13, 2017
Desertrider, first off, thank you so much for this EXCELLENT post. Very informative and helpful. I acquired a Massage Chair (PHP 2027) today. After moving it from a friends house, who said it worked, trucked it across Dallas, and put in my garage, we plugged it in to find it only vibrates.There is no movement at all, and remote shows 'ER' shortly after trying any action on the remote. From what I've read on your post, looks like I need one of the Toroid transformer? I've got zero electronics experience, but it looks like this is a buy a new one and swap it out with the old one type of thing, am I correct? if so, can you point me in the right decision... do I simply email that address you posted and ask for a new one for my 2027 chair? -- Thank you so much! id like this to be fixable so I don't have to BUY one :) !! -- Kevin

Where do we find a new Board assembly, I believe this would solve my issue. I tried writing the info @ premierhealthproducts . com and it bounced back. Not good.

OK, I'm late to the party, but appears they're out of business. Wonderful.

OUT OF BUSINESS
According to information in BBB files, it appears that the company is no longer in business. The phone numbers BBB had for this company are disconnected, and directory assistance does not have a listing for this company. BBB's mail to this company has been returned as undeliverable. If you have an unresolved dispute with this company you may wish to seek legal advice.

FIXED! Thank you for the diagrams etc. I was able to determine it was indeed my Toroidal transformer. I was able to buy one from Mouser Electronics, part# 553-VPT48-5200 which is 112mm in diameter and has a power rating of 250VA. It fits fine by moving it a little bit. Chair now works!

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Kanyuk

Jan 14, 2018
FIXED! Thank you for the diagrams etc. I was able to determine it was indeed my Toroidal transformer. I was able to buy one from Mouser Electronics, part# 553-VPT48-5200 which is 112mm in diameter and has a power rating of 250VA. It fits fine by moving it a little bit. Chair now works!
Hey Kevin, I ordered the part you mentioned and I'm confused that the original part is a six wire transformer and the replacement has eight. Not an electrician, but trying to get the chair up and running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kevin buickerood

Nov 13, 2017
Hey Robert! Sure, I can help with that. We have guests coming over tonight, so I can't look right now, so I will look at it asap and see how we hooked it up. I'll provide photos.

OK, hopefully, the PDF will upload with this post. This shows how we connected it, and the chair works fine. I tried to show the best angle to show you the colored wire from the Toroidal to the board itself.

I'm not an electrician, I had a friend who knows how to use a meter wire this, so I claim no responsibility. Mine works 100%.

Attachments

• hook.pdf
    477 KB · Views: 367

Robert Kanyuk

Jan 14, 2018
Hey Kevin, You've been great. I'm 100 percent taking responsibility for my actions here. I very much appreciate you taking your time to help out a complete stranger. One last question regarding the black and red wires coming off the transformer. They both go to yellow wires, but I cant see which yellow is for red or lack. I uploaded an image showing labeled yellow "a" and yellow 'B' at the point the connect to the board. Would you trace the wire back to where they connect to red/black, and let me know which wire goes which letter? Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20180121_132445.jpg
    IMG_20180121_132445.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 362

Robert Kanyuk

Jan 14, 2018
]Hey Kevin, You've been great. I'm 100 percent taking responsibility for my actions here. I very much appreciate you taking your time to help out a complete stranger. One last question regarding the black and red wires coming off the transformer. They both go to yellow wires, but I cant see which yellow is for red or lack. I uploaded an image showing labeled yellow "a" and yellow 'B' at the point the connect to the board. Would you trace the wire back to where they connect to red/black, and let me knowwhich wire goes with which letter? Thanks again.

kevin buickerood

Nov 13, 2017
Awesome! Get ready for some GREAT naps in your chair. I think the hardest thing about it, is getting those darn armrests back on and locked in :) . Enjoy it! I'm in mine frequently, they're awesome!

1Jatamae

Mar 29, 2018
Repairing a Premier Health Products PHP 2026 / 2027 Massage Chair:

I have included all service manuals attached here for this chair hoping this will help someone in the future but below is the most common problem & how to dissemble, where to get part.

Most common problem is when ALL the massage chair motors e.g. recline, Kneading, Tapping, elevation no longer work - you will notice the vibration will work.

This problem is from the donut shaped Toroid / Toroidal Transformer that powers all the motors. Attached are all the service manuals and disassembly instructions along with where to buy the part.

1. The original PHP 2026 Toroidal transformer has a single primary 110V (60Hz), dual 2x 24Vac secondary TAPS @ 16AMPs or 336VA
2. OD = Outside Diameter = 96mm (3.78”) and H = Height = 74mm (2.91”)
3. Was impossible to find a US made Toroid with this OD of 96mm – the OD must be exact to fit inside the cover or fit on the main PCB – you can find one with correct voltages but it will not fit.
4. I contacted a Toroid / Toroidal China Manufacturer (they make almost all Toroid’s in China) and they will make a custom Toroid for $50USD + $29USD=$79USD
5. The China company sells Toroid / Toroidal Transformers on eBay (been around for while) and their contact is Seller information:
a. eBay = diytalent86
b. e-mail = [email protected]
c. If seller does not exist then just look for any China Toroid / Toroidal manufacturer on eBay and contact them as they will custom make this Toroid for you - expect to wait 1 month for the part as it ships from China.

Given the US is 120Vac & the preferred output is 24Vac I decided to have the new Toroid made to meet the best input / output
Here are the SPECS in having a new custom Toroid I got made for $79.00USD:
1. (1x) Single Primary INPUT = 120Vac (US Voltage) – this can be between 110Vac to 120Vac
2. US Frequency = 60Hz
3. (2x) Dual 24Vac Secondary OUTPUT – this can output between 21-24Vac
4. Approximately 300VA to 400VA – Anywhere in this range – PHP 2026 is 336VA / 16AMP
5. Toroid OD = Outside Diameter = 96.5mm (must be 96.5mm or LESS)
6. Toroid H = Height = 73 mm – must be 73mm or less
7. There are six (6) wires coming out of the PHP 2026 Toroid:
a. Primary INPUT = Black / White is 120Vac
b. 1st SECONDARY OUTPUT = Yellow / Yellow = 24Vac (about 168VA)
c. 2nd SECONDARY OUTPUT = Blue / Blue = 24Vac (about 168VA)
d. Total SECONDARY OUTPUT MAX from original Toroid is 336VA @ 24Vac (each leg is 168VA MAX * 2 = 336VA PEAK) – this chair will not use this much the that is the rating on the original Toroid.
e. Chair will probably work find with any Toroid with power output of 200VA-400VA – I had my custom made to output PEAK 330VA.
d. This is Toroid known as a single primary with dual secondary = INPUT 110/115/120, OUTPUT 24-0-24

I have included pictures showing the measurements & label on the existing PHP 2026 Toroid Transformer.

The other attached service manuals will help you with other issues with this massage chair

desertrider

1Jatamae

Mar 29, 2018
I followed your post detailing how to order a custom Toroidal Transformer at the email address provided and did not receive any response. Is there any one else that I could approach about custom making this part? I have looked everywhere on how to get this accomplished with no luck. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

kevin buickerood

Nov 13, 2017
I followed your post detailing how to order a custom Toroidal Transformer at the email address provided and did not receive any response. Is there any one else that I could approach about custom making this part? I have looked everywhere on how to get this accomplished with no luck. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Jatamae, you don't need to build one. Here is what you need.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...GAEpiMZZMvwUzoUXIIvyTw34uqMHR%2buURoPZvADZjQ=

1Jatamae

Mar 29, 2018

kevin buickerood

Nov 13, 2017
Welcome! It's very simple once you get the part. Just follow the steps above and it works fine. Before you do anything, make sure it's unplugged. Again, "I'm not an electrician, I had a friend who knows how to use a meter wire this, so I claim no responsibility. Mine works 100%." Just follow the steps like Robert did above.

Grandpow

Apr 27, 2018
Greetings,
I have the PHP-2027 Air Massage Chair.
The unit powers up but I can"t get the any of the functions to work, like raising legs or massage etc.
I do hear relays clicking but no motors.
How do I get to box that houses electronics, or is there a reset fusing system or ???

Grandpow

Apr 27, 2018
I was told that the problem is a 24 volt transformer at 220.00.
Any feed back would be appreciated.
Grandpow

kevin buickerood

Nov 13, 2017
I was told that the problem is a 24 volt transformer at 220.00.
Any feed back would be appreciated.
Grandpow
Grandpow, please see the first page of this thread where I (NOt the original POSTs, look for my posts) list the part number and part you need. It’s exactly what you need. The armrests are held by two bolts that are figure tightened. Remove the bolts and lift up on the armrests, they will slide up and off. Then you’ll see a black plastic box under the chair. Open it by removing screws, and replace the toroidal transformer. That seems to be the issue with these chairs. Unplug before doing anything of course. —kevin

and sorry for my typos, geez.

Anthrax

Jun 8, 2018
This is the best thread I have found for fixing my PHP 2026. However, I have more of a mechanical problem. The actuator that raises and lowers the back of the chair is grinding. The actuator functions - the motor is fine - but there is a delryn worm gear inside that is worn down and slipping. I cannot find a worm gear to match anywhere and I cannot find the same motor online anywhere. Anyone with any great ideas would be appreciated.