Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repair JoeMeek Three Q Compressor

JonWanez

Feb 22, 2017
Hello Everyone,

So i am completely ignorant to most things electric. I do own a construction company and have electricians that work for me so i have a fiar knowledge of electric service, rough wiring, panel boxes, but i always defer to my electricains of course.

That is probably not relevant at all to my question, just wanted to let you know that i may be asking a ridicul;ous question.

So i have a Joe Meek three Q compressor. One of the knobs is broken.
I have taken it apart and have the knob out and i am trying to order a new one, but am unsure of what one to get.

So it is a potentiometer, or pot. It says Alpha with lower case "a" inside a circle (this is stamped or pressed in) and it says 0D2 next to that (in ink of some kind). It is the LF(80Hz) knob.

On the stem side, on the chip set it says B10K.
The stem is about 15 mm ( 13.5 likely based on the ones i have looked at).
It has a center detente position, and I would say it turns approx 270degrees. (when i look at the groove in the stem at one terminus the ove is runnin at about 2 oclock and 7 oclock, the detente puts it at a right angle or like about at 3 and 9 o'clock, and then the other terminus is about 11 and 5 o'clock). Sorry if that was ridiculous.

I have found what seems to be the right ones but i am not sure if it is single, linear or rotary, taper, etc.

Also it has pins that insert into the board and not the other style. The pins are still in the board. Would the best way to remove that to be to De-solder? I am assuming yes, but dont know for sure.

Thank you in advance for any help, and my apologies for the likely ignorance of my nomenclature.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir JonWanez . . . . . . . .

One set of 10,000 words coming up . . .fresh off the press . . . .
JOE MEEK POT.png

Here is the unit and the described pots location, with Alpha being a valid manufacturer, but not chiseled in stone for not using other brands as a replacement.
Its specific function / use would point to a 10K linear element and you already have figured out its 270 degree mechanical rotation range.
Just need to mate up the 3 connector types interfacing to the board a well as the shaft type and length that mates to its knob, This one shown is a slotted knurled shaft unit .
Use this accompanying hot link to mate to your unit . . . . . page after page of units. . . .to the left also.
I just guessed that yours might be one of the larger 24 mm pots.

By your description of its mechanical shaft movement, it might have mechanical detents involved . . .which are fixed places where the shaft seems to " fall " into place .
If so, that would require ordering the exact pot from the manufacturer . . . . . if that action even amounts to a hill of beans to you ?

If not . . . . remember Alpha is not the only pot manufacturer in town.

ALPHA REFERENCE SITE:
http://www.alphapotentiometers.net/html/24mm_rot_pot.html

73s de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

JonWanez

Feb 22, 2017
hey thank you so much!!
yeah it does have a center detente but I'm guessing that doesn't matter as far as its function, only its "feel" (for lack of a better word) . But that is the one in the picture. Very much appreciate your help.

Again - thank you very much!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Also it has pins that insert into the board and not the other style. The pins are still in the board. Would the best way to remove that to be to De-solder? I am assuming yes, but dont know for sure.

LIBERAL use of rosin flux ON the joints and TO the heated and applied solder wick to absorb the joints solder away . . . and transfer itself to within the copper wicking.

Main Meat of the procedure ~ 2:15-----4:38 . . . . .usually just goooooood wicking sufices with no solder sucking required.

73s de Edd

Last edited:

JonWanez

Feb 22, 2017
Thank you again. Appreciate the help very much.
I should have just attached a picture, it was my first post and I guess I just didn't think about it.
I have ordered the part, and it should be here today or tomorrow.
Here is a pic of the unit with the broken pot to the side.
I'll hopefully be putting up a pick of a working compressor in a few days.

Again, Thank You so much for the help

- Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_2452.JPG
    IMG_2452.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 79

JonWanez

Feb 22, 2017
Not a very good pic, I tried to get a shot of both the pot and the part still in the board and didn't seem to get either very well.

My apologies

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 156

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Aaron . . . . .

It seems to have been good enought to make me question the overall diameter of the pot that I initially specified . . . . since I was working blind, by not having seen your pic yet..
It might actually have been a diameter a wee bit smaller . . .hopefully you measured the diameter of the original and actually ordered a not too large size.

73s de Edd