Maker Pro
Maker Pro

recording computers

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
Hey guys, trying to find a program like fraps but with a difference.
what I want to do is plug a USB into a computer with a program on it... open the program without installing anything (cept temp stuff) record a short video back onto the USB close it down and go
no there is nothing secret agentish about this it is simply I have to do a manual for some people at work. rather than spending 2 weeks writing something out I am simply going to make a small 2 minute movie so they can see in real time how quick it is.
that and working in security I am positive only 50% of the guards can read...... that's another issue

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
We use some software that records what's on the screen and all sound produced. But it needs to be installed. I suppose it might be possible to install a portable version on a USB stick but I can't see it being as simple as you require.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
yeah I assumed it needed installation... problem is there are 5 computers we use....
have been thinking about cheating though and plugging the install file in, then installing it onto the USB on each comp...... hopefully that works.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That's where portable installs are great :)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Keep looking on google for screen recorders that offer portable installation. There are some available.
.. Is there a reason you can't just leave it installed on the computer?
If you plug in the USB stick and do the install to USB, the computer will still make registry edits to the machine regarding the install.
If these registry edits are required for the software to run, you will need to 'install' it to USB from any computer you plan to use.

As an alternative to the USB stick, are the 5 computers you use on a network that could share a common network drive?

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
hey gyro
the computer are not networks
the computers contain sensitive stuff so leaving a recording item on there is kinda not the done thing
as per registry, will leave that to IT to sort out lol

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
hey gyro
the computer are not networks
the computers contain sensitive stuff so leaving a recording item on there is kinda not the done thing
as per registry, will leave that to IT to sort out lol
well... if there is sensitive stuff on there then you should probably disallow/avoid USB devices... I'm not sure what the setup is, but virii can be transmitted through USB storage devices, and if the computer is connected to the internet it will call home and allow attackers to retrieve any and all information they wish. Likewise, if the data on the computer is too sensitive to leave a recording program installed, what's to stop an employee from snapping a picture or recording a quick video with a cell phone?

I'm not sure what you setup is, but if security is that tight, then perhaps the reason for wanting to be able to record in the first place should be re-evaluated.

-Are these all windows machines?
(Or do you have any Mac/Linux OS present)
-Are they part of the same office
-Do they all have an internet connection
(If so, is the internet connection monitored?)
-Are the machines shared, or is there only one user per machine?
(If shared, are there separate user accounts per machine)
-Is the desire for screen recording for training purposes, technical support, or employee management?
-Do they machines currently dis-allow program installations or contain any other means of discarding unwanted user modifications?
-Does the company currently have any remote assistance/remote monitoring tools installed?

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
yes windows
same office different networks
some have net others no
some shared some single user
training
I could install a mega pack of viruses to most computers... but would be fired
yes on remote but we don't have access that's the IT guys

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Sounds like you need to discuss your requirements with the IT guys, not us!

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
yes windows
same office different networks
some have net others no
some shared some single user
training
I could install a mega pack of viruses to most computers... but would be fired
yes on remote but we don't have access that's the IT guys
Bit of a grab bag there...
I can tell you from experience though, that the IT guys won't like anything you use to do a screen record if they didn't give it the ok.
Additionally, you had stated you don't want to leave the software on there... but windows has it's own screen capture built-in (Alt+PrintScreen to capture the current window, Win+PrintScreen to capture the entire screen.) So if any employee can do that, then leaving your recording software on there won't make a difference. (Except making it harder to email to themselves due to file size)
Perhaps you should let IT take care of the software installation unless they have tasked you with finding the software for them.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What we use is camtasia. Apparently it has a 30 day trial. Not sure if you can do a portable install of it though.

I imagine that donkey is trying to suggest that there is a risk and maybe the computers shouldn't have accessible USB ports.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
reason I am not going through IT is they make sure comp works.... not help us with installs without huge price cost..... gotta love IT