Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ratings for AC vs DC devices

Madsalts

Sep 25, 2014
If an AC device is rated for a certain voltage and amperage, can these ratings be assumed to hold true for DC devices as well? What about vice versa? E.g., if an AC plug is rated for "x" amps, could the rating of "x" amps be considered to hold true in DC applications as well? Thanks.

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
I think, as long as the DC Current is not interrupted by this device, there should not any issue.

AC has a Zero crossing point where the current drops to Zero and that ceases the current flow. In DC, such a Zero does not occur, and there will be a Spark, or even an Arc depending on the current flow, the contact separation and the time taken to extinguish the arc.

The answer to your question would be better answered if the actual application is mentioned.

You may also view this thread
https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/ac-plug-for-dc-purpose.274700/

Madsalts

Sep 25, 2014
ok, thanks. I'm thinking of using (as was mentioned in my other thread) AC plugs for DC wires. However, I started a new thread since I'm wondering if there are any general rules regarding this. It seems that there are, and that you explained them.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The DC rating does not equal the AC rating in switching or disconnection device especially when inductive devices are used.
M.