Radio shack Kit Question on transformer

Discussion in 'Misc Electronics' started by Ken, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Hello,

    I have a kit that I bougfht from RAdio Shack , Here is a link of what I am
    talking about. (
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6019532542&indexURL=
    )

    I would just like to know what are on the transformers in this kit , There
    are no part numbers and I need to replace that part.. The only information I
    have is what is written on the board:
    Output Transformer
    900 8
    ----- -------
    -
    -----
    -
    ----- ---------
    Three legs going in and two out with these numbers on top.
    Thank you for your help

    Ken O
     
    Ken, Dec 30, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Ken

    Don Bowey Guest

    On 12/30/05 12:03 AM, in article
    K5btf.6401$, "Ken" <>
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a kit that I bougfht from RAdio Shack , Here is a link of what I am
    > talking about. (
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6019532542&indexURL=
    > )
    >
    > I would just like to know what are on the transformers in this kit , There
    > are no part numbers and I need to replace that part.. The only information I
    > have is what is written on the board:
    > Output Transformer
    > 900 8
    > ----- -------
    > -
    > -----
    > -
    > ----- ---------
    > Three legs going in and two out with these numbers on top.
    > Thank you for your help
    >
    > Ken O
    >
    >


    It is an audio output transformer, 900 Ohms to 8 Ohms, to connect to an 8
    Ohm speaker. The 900 Ohm side may be center tapped.

    Don
     
    Don Bowey, Dec 30, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Ken

    DaveM Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message
    news:K5btf.6401$...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a kit that I bougfht from RAdio Shack , Here is a link of what I am
    > talking about. (
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6019532542&indexURL=
    > )
    >
    > I would just like to know what are on the transformers in this kit , There
    > are no part numbers and I need to replace that part.. The only information
    > I have is what is written on the board:
    > Output Transformer
    > 900 8
    > ----- -------
    > -
    > -----
    > -
    > ----- ---------
    > Three legs going in and two out with these numbers on top.
    > Thank you for your help
    >
    > Ken O
    >


    It's just a plain old audio output transformer. You already have the most
    important specs: 900 ohms primary impedance with a center tap, 8 ohms
    secondary impedance. Since this is a learning kit, I'm assuming that it is
    low power, maybe a few hundred milliwatts.
    I suggest one such as this from www.mouser.com as a close replacement:

    Catalog # 42TU008
    Primary 800 ohms CT
    Secondary 8 CT
    400 mw
    $ 2.19 each

    It's not an exact match, but, since it's an experimenter's kit, it's
    insignificant. It will still work in the kit.
    --
    Dave M
    MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in
    the address)

    Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time!!
     
    DaveM, Dec 30, 2005
    #3
  4. Ken

    UFO Joe Guest

    I've got tons of those kits, going back 30 years.
    I'm an amateur, but if I can help you...

    Radio Shack used to sell them separately.

    (We lost our Radio Shacks here in Canada - the Colonies - they were bought
    out by some oversized American Crap company - Circuit City - now they're
    into going for the big bucks
    with Big Screen TVs and such, anyhow, forgive me, I digress.)

    Radio Shack used to sell them as "Miniature Audio Transformers" if that is
    any help.

    The numbers on the board are the resistance, 900 Ohms in and 8 Ohms out
    (Most speakers are 4-9 Ohms)

    I really hope this helps you to find a suitable replacement.

    "Ken" <> wrote in message
    news:K5btf.6401$...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a kit that I bougfht from RAdio Shack , Here is a link of what I am
    > talking about. (
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6019532542&indexURL=
    > )
    >
    > I would just like to know what are on the transformers in this kit , There
    > are no part numbers and I need to replace that part.. The only information

    I
    > have is what is written on the board:
    > Output Transformer
    > 900 8
    > ----- -------
    > -
    > -----
    > -
    > ----- ---------
     
    UFO Joe, Dec 31, 2005
    #4
  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    >
    > if that's one of those "30 in one" "learn electronics" type kits
    > any audio transformer that's a "ballpark" match should work.
    >
    > For example Jaycar cat# MM-2532 "1000 ohms CT to 8 ohms"
    > (www.jaycar.com.au)
    > I expect there's a supplier nearer you with a similar product.
    >



    Well you are right, Radio shack 200 in 1 kit.
    supplied by a max of 9volts

    Ken

    And that you for all the help.
     
    Ken, Dec 31, 2005
    #5
  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Because I do not have all the working parts. I decided to simulate this
    circuit in pspice. I wanted to add this part the circuit. ( I only worked
    with very simple circuit using a simulator,..capacitor resistor) there are
    many to chosse from also , I wanted to add a transistor A733, there is none
    in the simulator, how do I go about chooosing out of the 100 shown in the
    simulator ??

    thank you

    Ken
     
    Ken, Dec 31, 2005
    #6
  7. Ken

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:45:26 +0100, "Ken" <> wrote:

    >Because I do not have all the working parts. I decided to simulate this
    >circuit in pspice. I wanted to add this part the circuit. ( I only worked
    >with very simple circuit using a simulator,..capacitor resistor) there are
    >many to chosse from also , I wanted to add a transistor A733, there is none
    >in the simulator, how do I go about chooosing out of the 100 shown in the
    >simulator ??
    >
    >thank you
    >
    >Ken
    >


    Get/Place Part Q2SA733

    ...Jim Thompson
    --
    | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
    | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
    | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
    | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
    | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
    | http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

    "Winners never quit, quitters never win", Jack Bradley Budnik ~1956
     
    Jim Thompson, Dec 31, 2005
    #7
  8. Ken

    safemale Guest

    rat shack used to have them
    i think
    ham friend used them in the mic line of his home made rig blaster
    sound card radio interface
    safemale
    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:18:42 -0800, Don Bowey <>
    wrote:

    >On 12/30/05 12:03 AM, in article
    >K5btf.6401$, "Ken" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a kit that I bougfht from RAdio Shack , Here is a link of what I am
    >> talking about. (
    >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6019532542&indexURL=
    >> )
    >>
    >> I would just like to know what are on the transformers in this kit , There
    >> are no part numbers and I need to replace that part.. The only information I
    >> have is what is written on the board:
    >> Output Transformer
    >> 900 8
    >> ----- -------
    >> -
    >> -----
    >> -
    >> ----- ---------
    >> Three legs going in and two out with these numbers on top.
    >> Thank you for your help
    >>
    >> Ken O
    >>
    >>

    >
    >It is an audio output transformer, 900 Ohms to 8 Ohms, to connect to an 8
    >Ohm speaker. The 900 Ohm side may be center tapped.
    >
    >Don
     
    safemale, Mar 20, 2006
    #8
  9. Ken

    Guest

    On Friday, December 30, 2005 3:03:30 AM UTC-5, Ken wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a kit that I bougfht from RAdio Shack , Here is a link of what I am
    > talking about. (
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6019532542&indexURL=
    > )
    >
    > I would just like to know what are on the transformers in this kit , There
    > are no part numbers and I need to replace that part.. The only information I
    > have is what is written on the board:
    > Output Transformer
    > 900 8
    > ----- -------
    > -
    > -----
    > -
    > ----- ---------
    > Three legs going in and two out with these numbers on top.
    > Thank you for your help
    >
    > Ken O


    (old thread, but appropriately related, I think...)

    A number of the radio shack science fair kits (at least 150-1, 160-1, 200-1) and some other equivalents (at least of the 200-1) have a (second) transformer with the labels 4K on one leg of a center-tapped side and 2K on the other (not center-tapped) side. It also has the label "input transformer".

    Suggestions for a (hopefully inexpensive) reasonable match/replacement for this part, that is readily purchased somewhere greatly appreciated?

    Thanks.
     
    , Sep 3, 2013
    #9
  10. On Tue, 3 Sep 2013, wrote:

    > On Friday, December 30, 2005 3:03:30 AM UTC-5, Ken wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a kit that I bougfht from RAdio Shack , Here is a link of what I am
    >> talking about. (
    >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6019532542&indexURL=
    >> )
    >>
    >> I would just like to know what are on the transformers in this kit , There
    >> are no part numbers and I need to replace that part.. The only information I
    >> have is what is written on the board:
    >> Output Transformer
    >> 900 8
    >> ----- -------
    >> -
    >> -----
    >> -
    >> ----- ---------
    >> Three legs going in and two out with these numbers on top.
    >> Thank you for your help
    >>
    >> Ken O

    >
    > (old thread, but appropriately related, I think...)
    >
    > A number of the radio shack science fair kits (at least 150-1, 160-1,
    > 200-1) and some other equivalents (at least of the 200-1) have a
    > (second) transformer with the labels 4K on one leg of a center-tapped
    > side and 2K on the other (not center-tapped) side. It also has the label
    > "input transformer".
    >
    > Suggestions for a (hopefully inexpensive) reasonable match/replacement
    > for this part, that is readily purchased somewhere greatly appreciated?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    Don't be a google-idiot.

    If you have to ask a quesiton, then post away. Dont' tack it onto an old
    thread, especially not when the problem is that google hasn't fixed the
    interface to not allow postings to threads older than 30 days. The rest
    of us don't see the thread on some webpage, the old messages are long in
    the past.

    YOu haven't added anything to the old thread, and the old thread didn't
    need any addtions. You cant' justify why you replied to that old post,
    you just think it's appropriate.

    I thought this was a web type habit, that it was acceptable in the web
    forum world. Yet I saw a message on one of the so many web forums that
    people have moved to instead of good old usenet, and it was about how
    there's no need to resurrect an old thread.

    Michael
     
    Michael Black, Sep 9, 2013
    #10
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Ken

    Radio shack Kit Question on transformer

    Ken, Dec 30, 2005, in forum: Electronic Basics
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    2,761
    safemale
    Mar 20, 2006
  2. Lars Torben Wilson

    Radio Shack 160-in-one kit transformer L?

    Lars Torben Wilson, Oct 25, 2005, in forum: Electronic Components
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    551
    Lars Torben Wilson
    Oct 25, 2005
  3. Ken

    Radio shack Kit Question on transformer

    Ken, Dec 30, 2005, in forum: Electronic Components
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    1,566
    safemale
    Mar 20, 2006
  4. MaxVT
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,128
    Franc Zabkar
    Oct 2, 2007
  5. Norm Dresner

    Ancient Radio Shack "Frequency Standard" kit

    Norm Dresner, Aug 4, 2004, in forum: Misc Electronics
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    596
    Charles Schuler
    Aug 4, 2004
  6. Henry

    Radio Shack Stamp Microcontroller Kit

    Henry, Feb 12, 2006, in forum: Beginner Electronics
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,308
    Henry
    Feb 12, 2006
  7. hbyist

    radio shack science fair input transformer 4Kct 2K

    hbyist, Sep 2, 2013, in forum: Datasheets, Schematics, Manuals and Parts
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    838
    (*steve*)
    Sep 2, 2013
  8. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,547
    Mark Zenier
    Sep 11, 2013
Loading...