Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Questions.

Martt

Mar 25, 2016
Hi, i have been watching videos and reading differenct explanations, but im not still pretty sure i can understund 2 things.

First im not still sure that i get how microprocessor works. Computer and all its parts uses DC voltage. But if there comes in frequency which goes with AC voltage then it makes me a little bit confused. Like processors base clock rate is 133 Mhz for example. What that means? I understund that if we multiple it with multiplier then we get clock rate. But not sure what these means. I understund that clock rate shows how many calculations it can make per second. But where multiplier comes from and specially where base clock rate comes from?

The another question is about something different. Its about defibrillators. As i understund defibrillators use AC voltage. Human heart hits about every second so lets say normal heart rate is 1 hertz. Lets assume im getting shock from AC which rate is 50 Hz and so my heart cant pump blood to my head anymore and i need shock from defibrillator to normalise my heart rhythm. What frequency the shock should be? I still dont get it excatly. Maybe its wrong forum for this question, but i dont know where i could get the answer from. Thanks a lot.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
1. The microprocessor contains a PLL (phase locked loop) which multiplies the incoming crystal frequency to get it's clock frequency. This is for two reasons, crystals are not common for the GHz frequencies used, so you use a lower frequency and multiply it. Also, you can change the clock frequency without changing the crystal.

2. The frequency of the shock given by a defibrillator has nothing to do with the heart rate.

3. Wikipedia would have answered both of these questions for you.

Bob