Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Questions n, n+1, and n+2 from my homework

ans

Nov 25, 2010
Is it possible to determine the frequency of a device without using oscilloscope?

Is snubber circuit a right choice to protect the circuit from circuit breaking.

capacitor is placed in fan it is a necessary component can any one explain how it works?

Last edited by a moderator:

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
google will tell you these answers...

Capacitor in Fan?? are you sure this is not meant to be a diode accross the fan??

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
google will tell you these answers...

Capacitor in Fan?? are you sure this is not meant to be a diode accross the fan??

maybe its a suppression cap across an AC fan ?

Dave

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
Could your fan motor be one of those single-phase capacitor-start induction motors? Or one of those permanent-split capacitor (PSC) motors without a centrifugal switch, such as are often used in air movers and ceiling fans? My 220 volt pool pump motor seems to be a PSC motor.

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
Laplace I don't think we'll ever know, he's been banned.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
He's only been banned for 3 days until he takes the time to read the message I sent to him asking him to:

a) post in the right area
and
b) read the faq for homework help.

Having said that, if in 3 days time he does not improve, I might reconsider.

lexroxas

Apr 15, 2011
Old query.

A) Is it possible to determine the frequency of a device without using oscilloscope?
B) Is snubber circuit a right choice to protect the circuit from circuit breaking.
C) capacitor is placed in fan it is a necessary component can any one explain how it works?

+++++++

A. It depends, if you are referring to a specific device like a 555 timer the you'll be able to get its frequency without using an oscilloscope. The computed value is an approximation of the actual using an oscilloscope. If you will ask why it's not exact then you'll have to ask Steve about leakage current and tolerance of components.

B) It depends on the circuit you are trying to protect. Other than a snubber, you may consider using a varistor.

C) A fan is basically an inductor. When power is removed, the inductor's current will start to decay very fast and will produce very high voltage spike that will most likely destroy the wire laminations of the coil's wire and short-circuit itself. A capacitor cannot charge instantaneoulsy, so if you place it in parallel to the coil you will have control over the voltage spikes. It's a simple and straight-forward method of protection but it there are some other methods of choice.