Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question About Old Television

Starmom

Mar 8, 2017
I have a very old television that was given to me a few years ago, from its appearance it's probably from the 1970s, but has worked fine. I unplug it every night (along with the converter box), and a few nights ago started noticing it has a heat smell inside the back when I unplug it. The last time, though, it started sizzling inside the back when I unplugged it. Haven't plugged it in or used it since- is it possible it could catch fire if I use it again?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you're lucky, the problem may simply be due to dust around the EHT area of the TV. Is it unusually humid?

You can carefully blow out any dust inside the TV, by be sure that it's been turned off for an extended period first (like a day).

Don't power up the TV until you replace all covers. You may need some help identifying the areas with high voltages. Post some photos and we can help.

Last edited:

Starmom

Mar 8, 2017
If you're lucky, the problem may simply be due to dust around the EHT area of the TV. Is it usually humid?

You can carefully blue out any dust inside the TV, by be sure that it's been turned off for an extended period first (like a day).

Don't power up the TV until you replace all covers. You may need some help identifying the areas with high voltages. Post some photos and we can help.

I don't have any way to take photos, but I'll see what I can do about the dust when I can get it open.
Yes, it's quite humid.

Apurve Anand

Mar 7, 2017
Maybe moisture is causing this problem. Open up the cabinet. Blow dusts and let the TV dry.
Other causes could be loose anode. It happens sometimes with old ones. This could cause leak of current in TV. Causing burn.
Other cause could be bad picture tube or insulation burn. If u don't know much about electronics it will be best then to consult an electrician. Cause there are parts inside TV those contains high current which can cause terrible mishsppenings.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The 'anode' is the heavy red wire that is attached to the back of the picture tube.
It does NOT come loose. DO NOT touch it or wipe it clean as there are about 20,000 volts stored in the picture
tube itself even long after the power is removed from the chassis.
Just blow the dust out of the set with the power off. With high humidity and dust, the 'dust' becomes wet and
would account for the crackling sound you heard. It is also normal for the old CRT (cathode ray tube) and high
voltage circuit that operates it to cause the set to heat-up.
*steve*'s opinion is the best I've heard.
The set is probably alright, you just have accumulated dust that needs to be blown out.