Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Question about battery in vintage anemometer

gspm

Jun 8, 2016
Hello--

I just picked up a vintage Belfort Instruments anemometer. It operates on wall power or battery. Unfortunately, the unit does not indicate what battery to use. I contacted Belfort and sent them the attached photo but they were unable to help. Is anyone either familiar with this unit, or can make an educated guess about what such a thing would have run on back in the day? (Estimated 1955-65, given design and non-ZIP postal zone on company address) (I'm guessing one of those large 6V flashlight batteries myself...)

belfort anemometer 1.png

Thank you!

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
If the battery fits inside the unit, then find what batteries fit.

If the battery is external then power it up on the mains and measure the supply voltage provided.
Be very careful if you have not dealt with mains before.

gspm

Jun 8, 2016
Aha--great idea! Of course. Not having done this before, I would suppose I would try measuring DC voltage somewhere the instrument side (as opposed to the mains side) of the transformer--do I have that right?

(Also, no place specifically for batteries in unit, but the lead for the battery is a short wire terminating in two spade lugs, which made me think 6V lantern battery.)

Thanks so much!

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
There is likely to be a transformer, rectifier and voltage stabiliser. It is the output of the stabiliser that you want.

A picture of the works close to the transformer could give quite a bit of information.
What voltage are the bulbs?
What voltage are the smoothing capacitors?

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
It might be a battery that is no longer made. Like the 4.5v cycle battery. Spade lugs don't fit on a lantern battery.