Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Proteus and Panelization for PCBs: Mouse Bites?

jamesjohnson

Jun 11, 2016
Hi - New guy here, forum looks quite good! So here's my first posted question:

I've created two independent circuit layouts in Proteus/Ares. I want to panelize them. I've figured out how to panelize the two PCB layouts on one board using the Ares Gerber Viewer, but I'm stumped on how to add slots and/or mouse bites so the boards can be separated after I receive them from the fab house.

So the question is, how to I create a routing slot or similar in the Proteus/Ares Gerber viewer? And how might I view the finished Gerber output to verify that the mouse bites are correctly implemented?

Thanks.... james

KeithM

Nov 3, 2015
Not sure I understand you question fully, but I'll take a stab at it!

I'm assuming your talking about the slots that are used to separate your board from the other boards on a panel at the fab. I haven't used Proteus/Ares, but usually all you do is send the board gerbers to the fab and they handle making those slots themselves.

Keith

jamesjohnson

Jun 11, 2016
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm talking about panelization. And yes, if the board houses are local they can usually work with instructions, phone calls, emails and the like. But I'm going to try some of the low-cost Chinese fab houses, which means a minimum of hassle for them in exchange for very cheap boards. I want to send files that I know are right to begin with, not have to try to hand-hold them, or trash and re-order if they don't come back right.

In fact, by hitting my head against walls all weekend, and with the assistance of some folks who've done this before, I was able to come up with the solution of drawing the slots with 2D graphics on the mechanical layer of the board. Seems that the 3D viewers I've found online generate slots, or holes, where the 2D graphics are, so I'm feeling fairly confident that that's the way to go in my Gerbers, rather than just explain to the fab house what I'd like.

We'll see if that works...

KeithM

Nov 3, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm talking about panelization. And yes, if the board houses are local they can usually work with instructions, phone calls, emails and the like. But I'm going to try some of the low-cost Chinese fab houses, which means a minimum of hassle for them in exchange for very cheap boards. I want to send files that I know are right to begin with, not have to try to hand-hold them, or trash and re-order if they don't come back right.

In fact, by hitting my head against walls all weekend, and with the assistance of some folks who've done this before, I was able to come up with the solution of drawing the slots with 2D graphics on the mechanical layer of the board. Seems that the 3D viewers I've found online generate slots, or holes, where the 2D graphics are, so I'm feeling fairly confident that that's the way to go in my Gerbers, rather than just explain to the fab house what I'd like.

I wonder if the fab house will even take your files if they have slots in them, I believe their locations depend on the other boards on the panel.

What fab are you thinking of? I've used http://www.pcbway.com/ and I just sent them gerbers directly exported from eagle with no slots, had no conversations with them, and they came out great :)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013

Hello, its rat bites not mouse bites :) why do you want them in a panel? Just let the PCB house do this for you if you want.
Adam

ZFpcba-Downey

Dec 23, 2016
Hello, its rat bites not mouse bites :) why do you want them in a panel? Just let the PCB house do this for you if you want.
Adam
Ya, just tell them that you want the boards in panel or you can send them the panel details and then they will do it for you. No need worry that.