Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Project for interested novice that will give him most taste of electronics?

jakub_friso

Aug 24, 2016
I know that there is plenty of stuff on the internet titled: Electronics Projects for Beginners. But I´m looking for a different advice, and for that, I think I need to ask directly professional and more skilled folks that I hopefully will find in here.

I'm very interested in electronics but I want to test my interest by actually building something with electronics. Than. after first experience I will further my studies. or not.

Now, my question is:

What is the project that will give me the most taste of what electronics are about?

What project would you recommend to a novice to introduce him to world of electronics?

With all the nuances but also the rough stuff. It doesn't have to be simple - just full of experience. So that at the end of its creation, I will know REALLY what electronics are about. Or at least partially...

I'm seeking this question because I was looking for many beginner projects - but I'm not looking for to easiest one - that's mostly what these projects are about, connecting this wire to that wire to light this...

I´m looking for the full (and maybe rough) experience, but as a novice, I can't assume what project will give it to me. And internet is not helping on this topic...

I was thinking about few inventions like: speakers, solar charger, watering system ... but how good are they for beginner?

I hope that I'm asking a relevant and understandable question. And I value every piece of an advice...

And please, don't worry about knowledge, I will learn everything that I would need for that project - just give me a platform.

Thank you.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
IMHO, your approach is wrong. You don't learn by starting out with a large complicated project. Even if you manage to complete it, you will not have an understanding of it. And more likely, you will give up in frustration.

You learn by starting with small circuits and trying to understand each one completely. Learn how small changes to it effect the results. Next, you learn to modify these circuits to handle something a little different. And finally, you learn how to combine the simple circuits into more complex projects.

Bob

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
Hi there,

I can recommend a book called electronics for dummies. I read it and it gave me a good start in electronics.

This is a good book because it introduces all the different components and has example circuits to build for each component of chip. It builds up knowledge as you go and has some bigger projects at the end of the book.

I'd agree that it is best to start small not least because if you hit a problem with a circuit you won't be able to troubleshoot it if you don't know how it is supposed to work,

R4tch3t

Sep 8, 2016
What about a solar powered LED Bluetooth audio system. Can be built in stages and covers a few areas.
You could say design and build a Bluetooth connected amplifier for some speakers. Then add a battery and solar panel with appropriate circuits. Finally you could add LESs that are sound activated/VU meter.

What I found was best for learning is to make things for others. If you have a younger sibling or niece/nephew/cousin you could make them an rc car or something.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
I know that there is plenty of stuff on the internet titled: Electronics Projects for Beginners. But I´m looking for a different advice, and for that, I think I need to ask directly professional and more skilled folks that I hopefully will find in here.

I'm very interested in electronics but I want to test my interest by actually building something with electronics. Than. after first experience I will further my studies. or not.

Now, my question is:

What is the project that will give me the most taste of what electronics are about?

What project would you recommend to a novice to introduce him to world of electronics?

With all the nuances but also the rough stuff. It doesn't have to be simple - just full of experience. So that at the end of its creation, I will know REALLY what electronics are about. Or at least partially...

I'm seeking this question because I was looking for many beginner projects - but I'm not looking for to easiest one - that's mostly what these projects are about, connecting this wire to that wire to light this...

I´m looking for the full (and maybe rough) experience, but as a novice, I can't assume what project will give it to me. And internet is not helping on this topic...

I was thinking about few inventions like: speakers, solar charger, watering system ... but how good are they for beginner?

I hope that I'm asking a relevant and understandable question. And I value every piece of an advice...

And please, don't worry about knowledge, I will learn everything that I would need for that project - just give me a platform.

Thank you.

Most "Beginner's kits" don't teach you much. If your objective is education start with a breadboard and build support stuff as you go along.
Buy:
Breadboard and wires
Digital multimeter

Build:
Battery power pack
+4.5 to +6 V for digital exercises
+12 V
+ and - 9 V (to + and - 12 V or 15 V) for analog exercises.
Power supply
What kind of power supplies do you have from old phones?
+5 V at 300 mA or so
+9 to +12 V at 300 mA or so
Analog variable voltage source for op amp and voltage comparator exercises
Component exercises.
Resistors
Capacitors
Diodes
Transistors
Voltage Regulators
Operational amplifiers
Voltage comparators
Digital integrated circuits

Switch inputs for digital ICs
LED outputs for digital Ics
Schematic capture software, free, quite a few around. For making schematics.

Forrest Mimms booklets at Radio Shack
Start acquiring components
Resistors
Capacitors
Diodes
1N4148
1N6263
Zener diodes, as needed
Transistors
2N3904
2N3906
2N4401
2N4403
BS170
BS250
Op Amps
LM741
TL081
TL082
LM358
LM324
Voltage comparators
LM393
LM339
LM311
LEDs
Assortment

The listed components go with the old Nevada Institute of Technology's training program. Loads of exercises go along with these, free for the asking. This was not an Engineering program but a practical electronics for the technician program, quite suitable to the hobbyist.

Last edited:

DiffAmp

Jan 5, 2016
I can't overemphasize the need for a solid grounding in Ohms law and especially Kirchoff's laws. These very simple rules are absolutely essential.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I learned by starting with a crystal set and also by mending things, such as electric fence energisers and electric drills.
I did the course to qualify me as a radio amateur and then used my knowledge for defining instrumentation at work.
Now I enjoy fault finding and repair of valve radios. It keeps the brain working.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
IMHO, your approach is wrong. You don't learn by starting out with a large complicated project. Even if you manage to complete it, you will not have an understanding of it. And more likely, you will give up in frustration.

You learn by starting with small circuits and trying to understand each one completely. Learn how small changes to it effect the results. Next, you learn to modify these circuits to handle something a little different. And finally, you learn how to combine the simple circuits into more complex projects.

Bob

In away you are right about starting with a big project. It depends. You can look at big project as a lot of little projects.

DiffAmp

Jan 5, 2016
I agree that size isn't necessarily an impediment, but it can be discouraging if you keep hitting roadblocks. I think the key is to work on a project that you're really interested in, and that will be useful to you when it is completed.