Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Project for a disabled child. Could use some help?

rustoleum

Dec 2, 2009
Hi all and anyone that bothered to venture into this thread.

First let me start with. I know very little. when it comes to wireing or electonics. Other then some A.V basics and your run of the mill common sence.

I am working on a Model Railroad set up for a young child with Cerebral Palsy who has very poor motor skills. He is only able to use simple, single low pressure switch's for all forms of action.

I ran into a small issue. The train set has a pretty standard 0 to 10 round smooth turning dial as a throttle. As it seems to be a common design for these types of train sets.

I have some items to use for the switch. But I need to construct a small low cost turning shaft with a suction cup at the end. To stick to the dial. It needs to turn slowly both right and left.

Can anyone tell me what I could or should use for a motor and what do I need to have in place if anything between the motor and a 2 prong wall socket styled plug?

I was thinking I could use a small / or mini RC style motor. As I need to make it be able to rotate in both directions. ( Right = speed up, Left = slow down.)

Anyone out there know what I could or should use to make this device im planning.

rustoleum

Dec 2, 2009
This is were I need help. Here is a quick sketch of what I have in mind.
Scan10030-1.jpg

As you can see, the idea is pretty self explanatory.

gemmons

Dec 2, 2009
A buddy of mine is a railroad HO fanatic. He says there is an electronic remote servo that you attach to the controller so that you can move around your display and still control the train. That might be able to be modified. In our research we also came across a reference posted by - [email protected]. Try e-mailing him and see if he can help you. Personally I don't think a suction cup apparatus would handle the torque.
Good luck.

gemmons

Dec 2, 2009
sorry didn't know you couldn't put an email address in. We googled "model train handicapped controls" and there is a reference to handicapped controls at "Model Railroad & Misc. Electronics"