Programming ATMega8515

Discussion in '8bit Microcontrollers' started by russ lyttle, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. russ lyttle

    russ lyttle Guest

    I'm trying to program ATMega8515's using STK500 and have not had any
    luck. I've programmed ATMega16's and AT90S8515 OK with 3 Stk500 boards,
    but get device ID errors with ATMega8515's. I've also looked on the
    Atmel site, but haven't found the right FM to read.
    thanks
     
    russ lyttle, Apr 15, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. russ lyttle

    Tom Guest

    russ lyttle wrote:
    > I'm trying to program ATMega8515's using STK500 and have not had any
    > luck. I've programmed ATMega16's and AT90S8515 OK with 3 Stk500 boards,
    > but get device ID errors with ATMega8515's. I've also looked on the
    > Atmel site, but haven't found the right FM to read.
    > thanks

    Is your STK-500 firmware up to date?
     
    Tom, Apr 15, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. russ lyttle

    Rich Webb Guest

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:43:34 -0400, russ lyttle <>
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to program ATMega8515's using STK500 and have not had any
    >luck. I've programmed ATMega16's and AT90S8515 OK with 3 Stk500 boards,
    >but get device ID errors with ATMega8515's. I've also looked on the
    >Atmel site, but haven't found the right FM to read.


    The "usual" problem with programming AVRs is that they typically
    (all?) come from the factory set to use the internal RC oscillator as
    the clock source and that oscillator is typically (always?) set, or
    divided down, to 1 MHz.

    If the STK500's programming clock is higher than 1/4 of that then
    programming will fail. Check the "settings" button under the Main tab
    from the STK500 window in AVR Studio.

    A good test is to *always* do a signature check before trying to
    program. If the signature is wrong or cannot be read then something's
    amiss.

    Once you're talking to it reliably, set the fuses as needed if you're
    using an external clock source or crystal.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
     
    Rich Webb, Apr 15, 2008
    #3
  4. russ lyttle

    russ lyttle Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > russ lyttle wrote:
    >> I'm trying to program ATMega8515's using STK500 and have not had any
    >> luck. I've programmed ATMega16's and AT90S8515 OK with 3 Stk500
    >> boards, but get device ID errors with ATMega8515's. I've also looked
    >> on the Atmel site, but haven't found the right FM to read.
    >> thanks

    > Is your STK-500 firmware up to date?

    Thanks for the reply
    Perhaps not. I updated AVR studio4, then updated firmware with the
    version on my harddrive. Where do I find for sure the latest firmware?
     
    russ lyttle, Apr 16, 2008
    #4
  5. russ lyttle

    russ lyttle Guest

    Rich Webb wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:43:34 -0400, russ lyttle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to program ATMega8515's using STK500 and have not had any
    >> luck. I've programmed ATMega16's and AT90S8515 OK with 3 Stk500 boards,
    >> but get device ID errors with ATMega8515's. I've also looked on the
    >> Atmel site, but haven't found the right FM to read.

    >
    > The "usual" problem with programming AVRs is that they typically
    > (all?) come from the factory set to use the internal RC oscillator as
    > the clock source and that oscillator is typically (always?) set, or
    > divided down, to 1 MHz.
    >
    > If the STK500's programming clock is higher than 1/4 of that then
    > programming will fail. Check the "settings" button under the Main tab
    > from the STK500 window in AVR Studio.
    >
    > A good test is to *always* do a signature check before trying to
    > program. If the signature is wrong or cannot be read then something's
    > amiss.
    >
    > Once you're talking to it reliably, set the fuses as needed if you're
    > using an external clock source or crystal.
    >

    Thanks.
    On all ATMega8515 the signatures read 0x1E 0x93 0x01 with a warning that
    the signature doesn't match the selected device. On ATMega8515L nothing
    is readable, neither signature or fuses.
    The clock is set for 28k
    Firmware version is 0x020a
     
    russ lyttle, Apr 16, 2008
    #5
  6. russ lyttle

    Rich Webb Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:58:03 -0400, russ lyttle <>
    wrote:

    >On all ATMega8515 the signatures read 0x1E 0x93 0x01 with a warning that
    >the signature doesn't match the selected device. On ATMega8515L nothing
    >is readable, neither signature or fuses.
    >The clock is set for 28k
    >Firmware version is 0x020a


    An Atmega8515's signature should be 0x1E 0x93 0x06, where 0x1E is the
    manufacturer (Atmel), 0x93 is memory size (8K), and 0x06 is a
    sequential code for that memory size.

    The signature you're getting is for the older AT90S8515.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
     
    Rich Webb, Apr 16, 2008
    #6
  7. russ lyttle

    russ lyttle Guest

    Rich Webb wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:58:03 -0400, russ lyttle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On all ATMega8515 the signatures read 0x1E 0x93 0x01 with a warning that
    >> the signature doesn't match the selected device. On ATMega8515L nothing
    >> is readable, neither signature or fuses.
    >> The clock is set for 28k
    >> Firmware version is 0x020a

    >
    > An Atmega8515's signature should be 0x1E 0x93 0x06, where 0x1E is the
    > manufacturer (Atmel), 0x93 is memory size (8K), and 0x06 is a
    > sequential code for that memory size.
    >
    > The signature you're getting is for the older AT90S8515.
    >

    Now that is strange. Although plainly marked as ATMega8515, the do
    program as AT90S8515. I'll have to find out where purchasing got them.
    thanks a lot
     
    russ lyttle, Apr 16, 2008
    #7
  8. russ lyttle

    Tom Guest

    russ lyttle wrote:
    > Tom wrote:
    >
    >> russ lyttle wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to program ATMega8515's using STK500 and have not had any
    >>> luck. I've programmed ATMega16's and AT90S8515 OK with 3 Stk500
    >>> boards, but get device ID errors with ATMega8515's. I've also looked
    >>> on the Atmel site, but haven't found the right FM to read.
    >>> thanks

    >>
    >> Is your STK-500 firmware up to date?

    >
    > Thanks for the reply
    > Perhaps not. I updated AVR studio4, then updated firmware with the
    > version on my harddrive. Where do I find for sure the latest firmware?


    When you install a newer version of Studio it will read the firmware in
    the STK500 and tell you if it needs to be updated, and will do it from
    within the program.
     
    Tom, Apr 17, 2008
    #8
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. marco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,505
    marco
    Jul 29, 2003
  2. Laurie Forbes

    AB PLC Programming

    Laurie Forbes, Sep 16, 2003, in forum: General Electronics
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    798
    Laurie Forbes
    Sep 17, 2003
  3. Shaddy Daddy
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    769
    Shaddy Daddy
    Oct 31, 2003
  4. InfamousKirch

    ROM Programming ??

    InfamousKirch, Nov 17, 2003, in forum: General Electronics
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    669
    Glenn Gundlach
    Nov 21, 2003
  5. Mr. Phil

    Z80 control board / EPROM Programming

    Mr. Phil, Nov 19, 2003, in forum: General Electronics
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    899
    Ken Taylor
    Nov 19, 2003
  6. foo

    PIC programming

    foo, Jan 10, 2004, in forum: General Electronics
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    551
  7. neo644

    ATmega8515 Fuse Bits

    neo644, Jun 16, 2004, in forum: Electronic Design
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,897
    Rich Webb
    Jun 16, 2004
  8. Antti Karttunen (remove .bu.la from the address)

    ATMEL AVR-programming using AVROSP on Linux? Does AVRDUDE supportself-programming bootloaders?

    Antti Karttunen (remove .bu.la from the address), Nov 8, 2004, in forum: 8bit Microcontrollers
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,252
    Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
    Nov 9, 2004
Loading...