Pressure sensor for focus pads

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Rajinder, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Rajinder

Rajinder

Hi all,
    I am starting a project that will display the force that someone has hit a focus pad. This will be used for boxing practice.
    The idea being yiu hit a focus pad and then a displsy registers how hard you have hit the pad.

I am a little stuck on the method to detect the strike. I was comtemplating using a force sense resistor but this does not cover the whole focus pad area. I was also thinking of using a accelerometer on the glove side to measure the speed.

Initially it will be a wired system, which then i want to make wirelesd.

Does anyone have ideas on how to detect the force on the pads? Any suggestions on the type of sensor i could use.

Thanks in advance.

Rajinder, Feb 24, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Rajinder

kellys_eye

Depends on the punch bag. If it is 'sealed' you could plumb in a simple connection to take the air pressure to a sensor - well, even if it's NOT sealed, it's still possible as you can calibrate for the 'leakage' effect anyway.

Pressure sensors are readily available but consider getting hold of a domestic blood pressure monitor that has all the 'plumbing' and electronics to measure and display pressure levels.

kellys_eye, Feb 24, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Rajinder

OBW0549

I would suggest an accelerometer installed in the focus pad, on the back side; it should do a pretty good job of registering each hit and giving an indication of relative strength.

OBW0549, Feb 24, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question