Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Powering an LED from a triboelectric nanogenerator

Shruti

Jun 15, 2018
Hello everyone,
I'm working on a triboelectric nanogenerator that generates maximum current of 19μA and a DC rectified voltage of 1.02V. I'm planning to develop it as an active sensor. Its basic functioning would be demonstrated by glowing an LED. However, the voltage and current are far below the requirements. Can anyone suggest a suitable amplifier with their rating?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Can anyone suggest a suitable amplifier with their rating?
When you use an amplifier you need an external power source to power the ampifer. That makes the use of your generator useless.
Look up 'energy harvesting'. You'll have to accumulate the little energy your generator delivers over time to be able to power the LEd for a short time, giving you a blinking effect.

Shruti

Jun 15, 2018
When you use an amplifier you need an external power source to power the ampifer. That makes the use of your generator useless.
Look up 'energy harvesting'. You'll have to accumulate the little energy your generator delivers over time to be able to power the LEd for a short time, giving you a blinking effect.

Thank you for the reply. But, I'm planning on developing it as a sensor. Hence, I need to look for a suitable amplifier. Meanwhile, I've been thinking of storing the power in a capacitor.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Sounds like another "solution" looking for a "problem" to solve.:cool: GLWT.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Google links a video of a triboelectric nanogenerator providing a weak current that is harvested. But the Oriental student making the video has horrible Engrish.