Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Please Help To Identify

Josiah70

Aug 5, 2017
I have a LED flood light I about trying to repair. Inside I found this loose part, what is it and where should it go? It looks like a life saver wrapped in copper wire. The only place is see that it could fit in case is on the power in board.

Thank you for your help.
JG

Last edited by a moderator:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Josiah70 . . . . .

All of our Lifesavers are white, mint flavored, and yours might have more or less turns of wire, also being of a different wire gauge PLUS it is not having a broken core, as this one does.
We call our unit a toroid.
But its typically not specifically related to being associated with a LED light, unless there is also a / its Switch Mode Power Supply also installed inside of the case.

REFERENCE:
https://results.searchlock.com/image.php?encI=X55g9:DDiii./WBs.JvVDJN?KOPpTEzGeFeEGzbE-_bpIFGTp_IFIIpG_HZ&eKIPFAGeAT-tHHIFZZbebzGIAIF_HEIHZTte&N4Pz&XPpGbQjXKprfiwy_ibb2Iwl4i3IriVOwcg9ibyOAU_b7p&mPz&NPX55g9%F1%GQ%GQ9vQ59va4fN.QWaf9.ivN4gNf99.JvV%GQGbzE%GQbA%GQ49JbbZTGcQ5AGcEFc5vNvW4civ3B4.=gs&gPIfm-Y,HbTE.z

73's de Edd

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Josiah70 . . . . .

Considering the somewhat hefty weight and the mass of that toroidic inductor, along with the area / compartment being found within.
Is there now a possibility that the unit had either been subjected to rough and severe vibration, or even experiencing a HARD drop?
Or . . . .it even having received a poor or marginal wave soldering at time of manufacture of the stuffed board.
A good reliability procedure on their part, would have been an additional and dedicated hand flow re soldering of , splayed out and bent ends of the inductor.
AND, even further supplementing that, with the use of an adhesive between the inductor proper and the PCB.
Now check out the foil side of the PCB to see if you can find two properly spaced apart holes that are now missing their inductor .
That inductor is probably being used as the MAJOR component in a ringing buck / or / boost power converter.
Ole' crystal ball over there, is glowing, and telling me to also tell you, that lead direction of reinstall / polarity, is not being a relevant issue on the toroid.

Thasssssssit . . . .

73's de Edd

Last edited: