Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCBweb Software?

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Hey Guys!

Well I was browsing the net and I found some software called "PCBweb". It is a schematic capturer and a PCB layout program. They say that you can make a Digikey BOM with it too. It's website is http://www.pcbweb.com/.

Does anyone know anything about it? Like any good/bad experiences with it? Does it look to be OK (e.g. not a scam)?
Thanks Very Much! :)
Dan

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Looks interesting. I note that they support gerber file export so you're not limited to their choice of PCB manufacturer.

Certainly seems that it's worth looking at. Why don't you give it a go and post a review?

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Hey Steve! :)

OK, so I downloaded it and it's a piece of junk. The way they have it set up is horrible. They don't have a add wire button, or a move component cursor. They have some crummy auto thing, so when you move you mouse over the components pin it switches to a add wire thing. And to move the component you have to put you mouse in the center of it. Here's a screen shot of a schematic I drew up with a lot of frustration:
PCBWEB#1.JPG
The whole program is really slow too, especially the PCB design part of it. Also, it has to have the internet to work, and you have to have a account with the people who made it to use the stupid program.

On the positive side of it: the library has quite a few of digikeys parts, and it is easy to switch between the PCB layout part and the schematic layout part. That's about all I can say on the positive side.

I was going to make a PCB with it to show you guys, but the way it worked was so slow and annoying I decided it wasn't worth it.

So would I recommend it to anyone? 100% no way. Diptrace continues to be the best EDA package I have ever used. :)
Dan

Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Does it run within the browser?

Last edited:

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Never mind. I looked at the screen shot (duh!) and it's clearly a separate application.

I've updated my EDA packages resource at https://www.electronicspoint.com/resources/list-of-eda-packages.39/

Thanks for the info
Cool! I had a look-see over your resource again, and it's looks like you added some more software I didn't know about! I might just have to try some more out. :)

Also two things, Diptrace has a MAC version of there software (woo-hoo!), and have you looked through this software list? Diptraces MAC version doesn't seem to work as good as the Windows version, but it may have just been my MAC computer. That software list has just a few programs that you don't have yet, but might want to add. :)
Dan

Last edited:

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Shame it didn't work out Dan, integration with Digikey is a huge plus because of their extensive inventory... I like Eagle despite the difficulties in creating new components, but I was really impressed with DipTrace's auto placement feature. That it works hand in hand with the autorouter means its loads smarter from the beginning! Really cool that you can partially populate a board, lock those components and then go back and allow autoplacement. Some really nice features. Have you tried creating a new component?

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Shame it didn't work out Dan, integration with Digikey is a huge plus because of their extensive inventory... I like Eagle despite the difficulties in creating new components, but I was really impressed with DipTrace's auto placement feature. That it works hand in hand with the autorouter means its loads smarter from the beginning! Really cool that you can partially populate a board, lock those components and then go back and allow autoplacement. Some really nice features. Have you tried creating a new component?
Yeah, I really like all the cool features Diptrace has. The way they have it set up makes it super easy to figure out, and also you can do stuff really quickly in it.

And yes, I have created many components with it. :) Diptrace actually comes with four programs: a Schematic program, a PCB layout program, a Component Creator program, and a PCB Footprint program. All you really have to do, to create a component is draw it up in the Component program part and then link a PCB footprint to it. And since they have so many PCB footprints already in the program, I have never actually had to manually make a footprint for a part! :)
Dan

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Yeah, I really like all the cool features Diptrace has. The way they have it set up makes it super easy to figure out, and also you can do stuff really quickly in it.

And yes, I have created many components with it. :) Diptrace actually comes with four programs: a Schematic program, a PCB layout program, a Component Creator program, and a PCB Footprint program. All you really have to do, to create a component is draw it up in the Component program part and then link a PCB footprint to it. And since they have so many PCB footprints already in the program, I have never actually had to manually make a footprint for a part! :)
Dan
I think I might download it just to give its auto placement and router a spin! Are you familiar with whether it can import a schematic from another program?

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
I think I might download it just to give its auto placement and router a spin! Are you familiar with whether it can import a schematic from another program?
No I don't think it can, I may be wrong though. It saves the files as .dch so if you have another program that does too, then it could most likely import them.

EDIT: I take that back! It can import Eagle schematics and it looks like a couple other ones too. :)
Dan

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
No I don't think it can, I may be wrong though. It saves the files as .dch so if you have another program that does too, then it could most likely import them.

EDIT: I take that back! It can import Eagle schematics and it looks like a couple other ones too. :)
Dan
I will let you know. I wonder if the developers have thought of backwards compatibility from a gerber file - i.e. - most software use the gerber file as a generic format so why not pull the relevant data from that and format into the new software.

MIke M

Mar 18, 2016
Hey Steve! :)

OK, so I downloaded it and it's a piece of junk. The way they have it set up is horrible. They don't have a add wire button, or a move component cursor. They have some crummy auto thing, so when you move you mouse over the components pin it switches to a add wire thing. And to move the component you have to put you mouse in the center of it. Here's a screen shot of a schematic I drew up with a lot of frustration:
View attachment 16707
The whole program is really slow too, especially the PCB design part of it. Also, it has to have the internet to work, and you have to have a account with the people who made it to use the stupid program.

On the positive side of it: the library has quite a few of digikeys parts, and it is easy to switch between the PCB layout part and the schematic layout part. That's about all I can say on the positive side.

I was going to make a PCB with it to show you guys, but the way it worked was so slow and annoying I decided it wasn't worth it.

So would I recommend it to anyone? 100% no way. Diptrace continues to be the best EDA package I have ever used. :)
Dan

I totally disagree with you.
First; I have an older computer and the PCBWeb speed is instantaneous. What low speed are you talking about?
The only slower process is viewing the PCB in 3D real world, and since this is something really powerful and new(you won't see it in other paid software) it relies solely on your processor power. So, go figure.

Why in the world are you crying for the ADD WIRE button? Who would blame the software for not having to click all the time on BUTTONS?
I myself consider it sweet, an upgrade from the old-school-never-change CADs, where you have to either use key shortcuts or hunt for button on the tool bar. PCBWeb saves a lot of time not having to do that and the software is smart enough to recognize any electronic part and the need for a wire, being at the pins or in the middle of another wire. Is just awesome.

What is wrong with picking-up a part once you hover the mouse over? It is another time and click saving update that I hate on Altium. Why would one like to go click on "Part Pick" button and come back to pick it, or hover over and just pick it?

The parts in BOM are either from Digikey or you can use the default own Library. You do not have to go export or buy new modules, or created stupid table to be able to have a BOM. You just click on the BOM tab, and is right there.
Beside, is really easy to create new parts with footprints by opening existing parts, modify them to what you like and save them for future use.

Schematics, PCB design, BOM all in one FREE software? Amazing.

I have Altium(hate it) Orcad, tested MultiSIM form Mouser, EasyEDA, none come close to the power of PCBWeb, besides being really expensive, limited version(MultiSIM) or keeping you tight to their own PCB supplier.

I finished a dual-channel preamp in it, with two separate PCB, and I'm in the middle of finishing the main PCB.

100% recommended to newbie or advance users of any other EDA. Just try it guy. You'll love it.

CrashFile Board.jpg CrashFile Schematic.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It read like spam to me.