Panasonic microwave help.

Discussion in 'Electronics Repair' started by zeusrealm, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeusrealm

zeusrealm

Panasonic inverter microwave, countdown timer kept resetting to a clear screen with microwave stopping every 10 secs or so, then the next day when it was used, it blew or tripped socket, tripping all downstairs sockets which I had to flip on the switch on the breaker box to get them back. Microwave has now died.

Prior to the tripping, I looked it up as I noticed the case where the timer going but it still worked after it did go when I set a time again which when I looked that up, it sent me to a site about the magnetron which a person posting a pic of their mag which I looked at and they said it was a mess with all the prongs bent. I think the person said theirs actually physically blew.

Switched the fuse and nothing.

Magnatron looks like this, other side looks fine. Do I need to replace it?

Attached Files:

zeusrealm, Jan 7, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. zeusrealm

Gryd3 VIP Member

Don't swap things out based on looks unless it's obviously broken.
    It would be a good idea to please provide a model# for the microwave and to also take picture of the front/back of the control board of the microwave if you can get to it.
    You may need a multi-meter if you are asked to get measurements across specific components.

Gryd3, Jan 7, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. zeusrealm

davenn Moderator

I would strongly suggest that unless you have much experience with power and electronics like this. DO NOT do any work on it .... take it to a service centre

davenn, Jan 7, 2017
    (*steve*) and hevans1944 like this.
  4. zeusrealm

debe

Physicaly your Magnetron looks ok, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have an internal short. But being an inverter microwave, its more likely the inverter is faulty & blowing fuses. Ive found these things are not cheap to repair, in comparison to a non inverter type microwave oven. I agre with davenn if you don't know what you are dealing with then leave it alone, as the voltages generated are deadly.

debe, Jan 7, 2017
  5. zeusrealm

zeusrealm

I was aware of the risk.

I was just wondering if there was a simple or easy fix (since my mum paid out £200 - £300 for it which when I found out, thought was atrocious; and 'I' do not want to pay out that kind of money, since I will most likely be buying it, for just a microwave. Only in the worst case scenario). Based on the helpful replies that have been made, it is unlikely.

I would provide that but I dont think there'd be much use at this point.

zeusrealm, Jan 7, 2017
  6. zeusrealm

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Mid way between Beijing and the Ronne Ice Shelf
    I can see no replies that are not helpful.

You did not mention that you were aware of the potentially highly lethal conditions which can exist within the electronics of a microwave oven even after it is tuned off, so it is important we mention it. We prefer to keep our members on the right side of the grass.

The "prongs", which are the heatsink of the magnetron are clearly manufactured in that shape and appear completely normal to me.

I assume you're getting photos of the control board because, along with the make and model of the oven, this will be one of the most essential things if we are to help you.

(*steve*), Jan 7, 2017
  7. zeusrealm

zeusrealm

The ones not helpful were the ones only on 'dont know what your doing dont do it' ... very helpful (which there was only one with that as the only point I believe); as it could of been (if that possibility did exist in this case) 'you just need to do this...'. Yeah, I dont need a 'dont do this if you dont know how' but like a in general 'its doubful', 'you can do this, but etc or just a general no ;)

I cant be aware to mention every aspect.

The shape wasn't what I was referring to, on the other website of the guy showing his, the heatsink... (I stated pronges as I didn't know it was a heatsink) was very much bent, I knew the shape of mine was fine as if it was moved out of shape from a blow it would be very unlikely they all would remain with the same uniform spacing and altered position. I was mainly focusing on the slight rusting, or discolouration on the edges as shown in the pic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
    zeusrealm, Jan 8, 2017
  8. zeusrealm

Gryd3 VIP Member

Online combat and belittling comments go a long way to kill communities like this.
    For the sake of keeping things complete and on-topic let's get back to the microwave.

Operational voltages are incredibly high, and capacitors can store more than enough energy to kill you.
    If you are familiar enough with this then the argument could be made that you could fix this yourself without help, but for the sake of being helpful, let's assume there are various parts of a microwave that you have not dealt with before... ie, magnetron.

The discoloration and general appearance looks fine to me, but because of how you explained the failure and what it's doing now.. I am very interested in the control board.
    An inverter type microwave does not simply switch mains power on/off to the magnetron, it's going to have some fairly beefy components that actively switch to vary the power levels of the microwave's output.
    I'm expecting that one or more of these components are defective or broken resulting in the blowing of the breaker. (Most likely shorted out... but we won't know till you dig in and see it.)

Now, full disclosure here, I do *not* have a repair manual for your microwave so I can't suggest what part# to look at. You will need to share details with us, and if you want to avoid tripping the "he doesn't know what he's doing and is going to kill himself" alarm you should be providing technical details that make it sound like you know what you are getting into instead of following a do-it-yourself guide on instructables.

I do with you all the luck in your repair.

Gryd3, Jan 8, 2017
  9. zeusrealm

davenn Moderator

thread closed

enough abuse has been hurled and a thread tidy up has been done

zeusrealm

people, including myself were helping you to make sure you didn't kill yourself as it is pretty obvious from your comments that you have no experience with this sort of technology

davenn, Jan 9, 2017
    1. Advertisements