Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pad has been ripped off from my protoboard, now shorted.

Amygdalas

Dec 28, 2016
As the title states the Pad has been ripped off from my protoboard and now 3 of the lines are shorted together. Is this a common occurrence when a pad is ripped off? I tried wicking it multiple times with no luck. It would take me at least 6 hours to remake this board not to mention all the parts I have to reorder :(

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20161228_081816.jpg
    IMG_20161228_081816.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 74

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
I See where it is ripped off, but I don't see a Short anywhere.
However you definitely Need Soldering Lessons.

Amygdalas

Dec 28, 2016
Both rows on the side of the row with out a pad are shorted

| | |
. ^(no pad) all 3 are shorted

Amygdalas

Dec 28, 2016
Never mind they are supposed to be shorted -_- This thread can be deleted lol..

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Please find someone to help you with your soldering.

Here are some quick tips:

1. Don't fold leads over. If you need to stop components falling out when you turn the board over, just splay them slightly.
  2. Do one component at a time and trim the leads after you've soldered them.
  3. Use your soldering iron to heat both the pad and the lead and apply solder so it flows around the joint. It should look smooth and shiny and should completely cover the hole the component lead goes through. With practice, each joint should take about 1 second to complete.
  4. Make sure your soldering iron is hot enough and the tip well tinned. If you can't heat a joint quickly, it could be that your to is not hot enough, you are not placing the to correctly to transfer heat to the joint, the tip is too small, the tip is dirty, or the tip is not tinned. A small amount of solder on the tip can also assist in improving thermal contact. This point is complex and may require some skill and experience to determine which of them is your problem.
  5. Get a "solder sponge". This is a ball of (preferably) brass swarf and looks a bit like a very coarse metal scourer. You plunge your tip into this to clean it. These are better for your tip than the cheaper damp sponge.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
And clean the copper on the board with steel wool or similar before you start.
Then keep fingers off.