Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Outlet got wet

Marshall80

Apr 11, 2018
10 days ago my fishtank leaked water, down the wall, into the outlet it was plugged into. (See picture provided) I was unaware this was happening until I heard a sizzling sound for a second but before I could respond, thankfully, it shorted out the 4 outlets & 1 light on that breaker. I'm a renter & on a low budget, hoping to fix this myself without involving the landlord or calling an electrician, while being safe at the same time. I'm concerned plugging something in to see if the outlets work could be a fire hazard but currently using extension cords for the outlets affected which doesn't feel safe & is only a temporary solution. I'd appreciate all input, suggestions & recommendations however, it would also be helpful knowing if a comment is coming from someone in the electrician field or from personal experience, please.
Thank you in advance!
Marshall

Attachments

• 20180411_011907.jpg
    20180411_011907.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 72

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's probably best to get a sparkie to take a look at it.

They would probably undo the outlet from the wall and make sure things are dry and not charred or corroded. If everything looks ok they might double check the writing is correct, then put it back.

If there's any question, they would likely replace the outlet, maybe cut off the end of the cable and reconnect it.

There is a very small chance that there has been some damage to the writing, but that's what fuses are for, and it sounds like your circuit breaker did what it is supposed to.

Marshall80

Apr 11, 2018
Thank you Steve! I will, most likely, follow your advice and have a sparkie take a look. Although I do quite enjoy learning & trying things myself... electricity is 1 of those things, no room for error, make 1 wrong move and it's light's out...forever, no turning back. Therefore, probably best to consult a professional.

My ex-husband was an electrician so, in your opinion, does that qualify me to take just a lil look in the outlet if I've got the breaker flipped off so no electricity is running thru?? Not hardly, I'm sure haha but I must admit I am considering it pending your thoughts...hmm?

Off subject, I'd say, I don't phear the antipodes but rather enjoy those I know or have known over the years. I love Australia and any Aussie I've ever known was a delight! However, I DO "phear" fear those giant spiders and snakes I've heard tales of! Eekk like the spider I saw in a video that was the size of my head..nope I'd have a heart attack I believe!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Marshall80 . . . . . . .

First of all . . . . I seem to be seeing an unuseable "photograph" that has been EA'd to assimilate the renderings of a watercolor portrait . . .? . . . . . As well as the foreground fish food container.
Considering the frontal foreground fish species . . . . ..relating to a saltwater aquarium . . . . which certainly would relate to some severe snap crackle and pop, if the saline mix had run down the brick wall and laterally creeped into the wall sockets, until arc/boiled off . . . .or fully dried out.

73's de Edd

Marshall80

Apr 11, 2018
73s de Edd,
I posted another picture hoping it comes thru more clearly or larger. I forgot my daughter put fish stickers around the bottom of the tank...but in reality the fish inside are actually mostly 15 cent "feeder fish" aka-goldfish. Not salt water but I see what you were seeing in the picture of the little stickers stuck on the outside glass.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
WOW ! . . . . the whole pic STILL looks like having . . . a faux table/stand that the aq is resting upon . . . .Faux brick and mortar . . .wallpaper? . . .etc . . . . even the yellow oval, with its partial shadow convolution and frontal reflected light highlight section, that you outlined the outlet with . . . seems straight out of Photo Shop / Swap.
I saw the very top fishie pics . . . . and their out of water experience . . . . . but didn't realize that they were also among those being at the very bottom of the Aq also.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My ex-husband was an electrician so, in your opinion, does that qualify me to take just a lil look in the outlet if I've got the breaker flipped off so no electricity is running thru??

Well, I can't stop you. But as you've said, you may not get a second chance.

And I'm pretty sure you were joking.

Marshall80

Apr 11, 2018
No sir, 73s de Edd, nothing faux, just a pic from my ph I took prior to posting thread. I'm not sure why any of the picture would look photo shopped. I just used my phones "edit" feature to add the yellow oval around the outlet and zoomed in. I'm a bit ashamed to say, I've never used photo shop and wouldn't have the faintest clue where to even begin creating a photo shop pic. May i ask, what's the purpose of it? To create faux photos? Or alter existing pics? To trick people?

Marshall80

Apr 11, 2018
Well, I can't stop you. But as you've said, you may not get a second chance.

And I'm pretty sure you were joking.
Yes *steve* I was joking a bit there. I would like to know what I'm doing when addressing electrical issues but unfortunately that's not on my list of expertise. Therefore, best for me to leave it to you sparkies. However, since it's something that interets me, maybe I can look into learning a little someday soon. For now, I'll listen to the professionals.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If you mess with the socket yourself (Sounds like you won't), TURN OFF THE BREAKER TO THAT SOCKET first.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
It's probably best to get a sparkie to take a look at it

I agree. ... I'm a sparky and would be happy to look at pictures you post.

Replacing receptacle outlets is something a homeowner can do safely and legally (complying with electrical codes) provided they follow safe practices.

Yes, obviously verify breaker is off and outlet is dead. You can do this with a meter or just plug in a lamp or radio into the outlet after verifying it works on another outlet. If you can check power at the wires (tick-tracer) behind outlet wall plate, that's even better.

Post a picture of the outlet that tripped so we can determine the type. If its a Gfci or Afci type your in a better situation because they detect leakage current often when exposed conductors get wet. You may not have to do anything but reset the breaker.
If it's a standard breaker, then you may have more serious problems.

By all means post some pictures of the back of the receptacle once you carefully pull it out of the box.

Marshall80

Apr 11, 2018
I agree. ... I'm a sparky and would be happy to look at pictures you post.

Replacing receptacle outlets is something a homeowner can do safely and legally (complying with electrical codes) provided they follow safe practices.
YOU ROCK!!!!! My new best friend!!! You and Steve have been so helpful!! I'll get pictures asap, John THANK YOU!!!!!!

Marshall80

Apr 11, 2018
Tha fios agaibh,
Is the picture I sent above good enough for you to see what type out outlet it is?