Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Oscilloscope? ?

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
I'm just brand new starting out in hobby electronics but am interested in learning to use an oscilloscope. What I do know (very little) about how they work and the type of information they give interests me.
My question to the more knowledgeable than me is....am I trying to run before I can walk?
I know very little about electronics in general. Building a couple of eBay DIY kits is my limit so far! I'm !ike a sponge right now but enjoying it very much! Off to build more DIY kits.....ha ha!

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi Terry

I don't think it hurts finding out about different pieces of test equipment, you may not need to use one initially. However, knowing that such equipment exists can actually help you in choosing a project that you may think is above you, just because you are not sure how to test them.

Unlike me who is a scatter brain when it comes to thinking. I always shoot off in all sorts of directions as something pops into my head.

Try and stay focused and learn one thing at a time. I know it sounds boring but it will pay off in the end. Start with small projects and work from there. Get yourself a few books which you can use as reference. It's invaluable to become a good researcher and knowing the correct terminology is a must.

Good Luck
Adam

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Nice as it is to own such test equipment (if you have the money, well why not?) it won't come into its own until you reach a point of understanding whereby the information it displays becomes of use to you.

I'd be looking for a good quality set of tools and a decent multimeter first. You can do and learn an awful lot about electronics using just those basic items and understanding the fundamentals is key to making progress.

As for getting a good book.....

Horowitz's book 'The Art of Electronics' is considered one of the 'bibles' of electronic understanding and definitely worth the expense (originals are expensive but there are knock off's from the usual sources that are much cheaper). I'd look for a second hand original copy - they can be found.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. We all started somewhere and the internet is a fantastic place to get knowledge - it didn't exist when I started in the hobby.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Sometimes you can find an old oscilloscope at a rummage sale or on E-bay for around 50 bucks (40 quid?). An inexpensive model is fun to learn and experiment on, but I wouldn't advise a beginner to spend big money on a high quality scope.

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
Thanks for the info,I'll keep an eye on eBay till the right oscilloscope for me comes up. I got a cheap 40 quid meter long ago that i used for general stuff but just picked a better Extech one when I decided to take up electronics. If I get the chance of a Fluke or Gossen or something cheap I'll grab it. I'll just build hand tools as I go. I got a 30v 5a PSU that'll do me for anything I need for now. I've been watching loads of YouTube stuff trying to learn the basics. I used to love reading but can't concentrate long enough to benefit from reading now. I find if I watch people doing things on YouTube it sticks more.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Sparkfun have a tutorial with video. Look for how to use an oscilloscope.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
'Dave' of EEVBLOG fame does some good tutorials on Youtube - worth a visit if you haven't already done so.

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
I've checked both out,very good like you both say. They explain stuff really well without putting you to sleep! There are a couple of other channels I watch too. I've been watching the surface mount stuff too and I'm going to give that a try once my paste arrives. Just another practice board but it'll be good to see if I like it or not. I love soldering through hole stuff so hope I like it as much. I have a couple of boards ordered and lots of components so I can practise with them too.
It's great there's a place like this to help newbies like me.