Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Open a Gate remotely using a wifi relay

jacobsdad

Jul 21, 2018
Hi,

I'm a DIY electronics geek and I'm looking for some advice please. I hope someone can help.

At my work, we have an electronic gate. This is a 12v DC systems, stepped down from 230 AC. Currently, the only way to open the gate is to either press a an exit button or enter a PIN code. The problem with this is that the gate is 300m from the office, which means that every time someone arrives to deliver a parcel we have to keep walking down to the gate to open it. Fine in the summer, not good in the winter.

Now, as the system is 12v and we have wifi next to the gate, I decided to look at a wifi relay which is operated by a mobile app, which I can add to the current exit button circuit to open the gate remotely from any location. There are plenty of these of Ebay, but they appear to be the type which closes the relay until you press the app again i.e. when you send the command to the gate to operation the relay, it closes the relay and stays in that state until you press the button again to send the "open relay" command.

This isn't any good to me, because I can't trust people to press "open" and then "close", and if they don't do this the gate remains open. So, I need a circuit board which will send the command for around 1 second to close the relay, and then automatically open it again (or a board that I can manually set the time period).

I'm sure there must be sometime available, but I just can't find it! Can anyone please advise? This is what I was looking at: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Sw...277560?hash=item41e1a0abb8:g:x04AAOSwBY5a8nkV

Thanks in advance.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Is the gated entrance basically for car/motorcycle/bike entry, or would a walking pedestrian also be sometimes considered ?
Is there an intercom to the office at the gate proper ? (Or is that being the WiFi aspect? )
Do you have visual view of the gate in order to see when it is "safe" to close the gate ?

Last edited:

jacobsdad

Jul 21, 2018
Thanks for your reply.

All security and pedestrian access is already catered for. It's really just the type of wifi relay that I'm looking for help on.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir jacobsdad . . . . .

Oh tayyyyyyyy . . .then.
Why not go for this Garage Door Opener unit and let it become a Gate Door Opener .
It gives you WI FI options of Alexa-Echo-Nest voice control via Android or Apple OR it gives you a 433mhz RF push button hand held transmitter.
The units single pole double throw relay contacts can be set to open or close upon activation . . .or the additional mode you want it set to, is the inching mode where you can get a one second opening or closing of your choice of those two relay positions.
In your case, you want a momentary on transition of the normally open contacts,which you would shunt across the gates manual activation switch.

ST-DC1
https://www.amazon.com/EACHEN-Monentary-Self-locking-AC90-260V-Compatible/dp/B078JGC2KR

73's de Edd

jacobsdad

Jul 21, 2018
Sir jacobsdad . . . . .

Oh tayyyyyyyy . . .then.
Why not go for this Garage Door Opener unit and let it become a Gate Door Opener .
It gives you WI FI options of Alexa-Echo-Nest voice control via Android or Apple OR it gives you a 433mhz RF push button hand held transmitter.
The units single pole double throw relay contacts can be set to open or close upon activation . . .or the additional mode you want it set to, is the inching mode where you can get a one second opening or closing of your choice of those two relay positions.
In your case, you want a momentary on transition of the normally open contacts,which you would shunt across the gates manual activation switch.

ST-DC1
https://www.amazon.com/EACHEN-Monentary-Self-locking-AC90-260V-Compatible/dp/B078JGC2KR

73's de Edd

Perfect! Thanks!