Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Omega special character

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
ALT 234 = Ω on my computer. I'm running windows 7 home premium with FireFox on a dell laptop. I actually have to push Num LK then hold down Fn and ALT then type 234 on the 10 key. On my Apple computer it's ALT Z that does the trick.

Dan

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Try: Start | Control panel | Region and Language, and see if there are differences between the computers, particularly on the keyboard and languages (you need to hit the "change" button to see what you've got.

I've just added a German keyboard to see if it makes a difference. OK, I'll press right alt-shift...

Nein, es scheint nicht, überhaupt zu viel ändern. Ich komme wieder zu wechseln.

No visible difference. what about Alt234?

English: Û
Deutsch: Û

Nup, not that.

However, adding a Greek keyboard, I get Ω when I type an uppercase V (and web sites tell me that the character is alt-937. ® <-- nup

Aaaagh!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hmm, a but of a pain, but I can now tell you that if I had a 1kΩ resistor and a 0.1μF capacitor and a ΔV of 10V blah blah blah.

βωασδπΣθρεηλν <-- Gee the ancient Greeks knew a lot about electronics!

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
I've been working on getting this edit button added, but I just can't see a way :(. I've tried so many methods and only got one buggy version working, so I'm going to have to leave it for now. I may re-visit it again next week with a clear head, but I'm well and truly stuck for now. If there are any javascript wizards here and think you may have a solution, please do let me know :D.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I've been working on getting this edit button added, but I just can't see a way :(. I've tried so many methods and only got one buggy version working, so I'm going to have to leave it for now. I may re-visit it again next week with a clear head, but I'm well and truly stuck for now. If there are any javascript wizards here and think you may have a solution, please do let me know :D.
Ian, do you have the ability in the Forum CPanel to create your own BBCodes?

You could make a new [o] code to insert the Ω ;)

Edit: Did a quick search, XenForo does have the ability to make custom BBCodes, and if you add an icon URL, it will show up in the bbocde help section automatically.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Yep, I can make a BBCode, however it's less than ideal as it won't store things in the database as the correct symbol and it won't show in the editor as a symbol but just BBCode which will confuse people. I may make it a hidden feature, so those who feel comfortable using it can do so.

I'm still having a go at getting the JS version working, just in case :).

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Yep, I can make a BBCode, however it's less than ideal as it won't store things in the database as the correct symbol and it won't show in the editor as a symbol but just BBCode which will confuse people. I may make it a hidden feature, so those who feel comfortable using it can do so.

I'm still having a go at getting the JS version working, just in case :).
http://webdesign.about.com/od/localization/l/blhtmlcodes-gr.htm
^ Has a list of HTML tags that can be used if you have problems using the omega directly in the editor.

From what I have seen on the XenForo site for custom BBCodes, you should be able to fill in an example descriptions, and a URL for an icon (Which you could make an Omega) This should resolve the plain looking 'random' BBCode that may confuse people ;)
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-bb-codes.66206/

I don't have as much experience in JS that I would be comfortable producing code for a public environment...

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks, as it happens those are the HTML codes I'm using as it should work in every encoding. I can fill in the BBCode descriptions, but it would still produce unusual results in the editor - as it can only insert tags, rather than raw text and we'd have to use empty tags. That said, I suppose we could wrap a number in an "ohm" tag and then that would work - but it's not ideal.

I've uploaded a very, very rough beta version of the JS-only method I've been working on. It manually adds the correct HTML in to the editor, without BBCode, but I had a few problems with it. I think I may have fixed it, but I suspect that there will be bugs still. Let's see how it works :). The buttons should be the last 3 ones in the editor row (if it is enabled at the moment - you may need an F5 refresh).

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Same here. Good job, and much cleaner than using BBCode IMO.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Excellent.!

I've started using a firefox plugin called "Character Palette" which lets me choose the characters I want on a little toolbar. (but you've still got to find the characters)

I remember googling for special characters and finding a forum post listing heaps of them.

The best version I can find now is this one (I didn't look too closely at what that forum is all about :)).

Categorised into things like this: × ÷ − ± π ⁄ ∆ ∏ ∕ ∙ √ ∞ ≈ ≠ ≡ ≤ ≥

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Excellent.!

I've started using a firefox plugin called "Character Palette" which lets me choose the characters I want on a little toolbar. (but you've still got to find the characters)

I remember googling for special characters and finding a forum post listing heaps of them.

The best version I can find now is this one (I didn't look too closely at what that forum is all about :)).

Categorised into things like this: × ÷ − ± π ⁄ ∆ ∏ ∕ ∙ √ ∞ ≈ ≠ ≡ ≤ ≥
Windows users can simply run charmap to see a list of almost every character available in the currently selected font.
Make note, that the characters don't always work depending on what app or site you try to paste in. Many smart developers will sanitize the text input to help prevent attacks which means that many of the oddball characters get stripped out. You will also have problems if where you are trying to paste these characters into uses a font that does not support your special character.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Excellent :). I'm glad it's working so far!

I'm going to leave it as just those 3 characters for now, until I can replicate the dropdown box functionality. If/when I can figure out that, then I will add a load more useful symbols - but those 3 main ones should cover us 90% of the time.