Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Old projector running wrong directions

carl Richenberg

Mar 12, 2018
I have a GAF 1788Z projector that seems to be running in the wrong direction(s). When the control switch is on forward/fast forward the feed spindle rotates counterclockwise, and when the switch is in rewind/reverse mode the feed spindle spins clockwise. Thus the film can't be fed to the film threading slot. I removed the cover on the back of the unit, and found all the belts bands, etc to be in good condition. my guess is that during a repair years ago, that the feed wires to the motor may have been reversed. Unfortunately I don't have a wiring schematic to understand what to check. Can anyone shed some light on how to proceed?....Thanks Carl

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
AFAIK the feed spindle rotates counter-wise to maintain a constant tension on the reel. The film gate 'pulls' the film through via the sprockets - it needs manual loading and doesn't 'feed' through automatically.

This is from a long-ago memory so if anyone can confirm this???

carl Richenberg

Mar 12, 2018
AFAIK the feed spindle rotates counter-wise to maintain a constant tension on the reel. The film gate 'pulls' the film through via the sprockets - it needs manual loading and doesn't 'feed' through automatically.

This is from a long-ago memory so if anyone can confirm this???
This doesn't seem to answer why when in rewind/reverse mode the feed spindle is rotating clockwise.which seems to be counter to normal operation on other machines.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The only other reason I can think of would be a drive belt having a 'half twist' in it that it shouldn't have.
Sorry but my memory of these units isn't as clear as it should be - I was hoping someone else might drop in on the thread to offer some input...?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'll input some of my old memories of those machines.
The ones I remember, had a slow speed for running the movie.
When you wanted to rewind, you took the reels off, reversed them on the spindles, and 'ran' them at the higher rewind speed (NOT FED THROUGH THE PROJECTOR), between the two open reels.
'Newer' machines had a 'Reverse' to play the movie backwards, but the rewind still required you to take the reels
off the spindles, reverse them, and then 'rewind' the movie by high speed between the two open reels themselves, not threaded through the machine.
Did I give you any ideas, or just muddle the question?