"notsohot" project - mains power cycler for heating appliances

1. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

KrisBlueNZ submitted a new Showcase Item:

"notsohot" project - mains power cycler for heating appliances

Read more about this showcase item here...

KrisBlueNZ, Nov 11, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. KrisBlueNZ

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Germany-Europe-Earth-Sol System-Milky Way-Laniakea
    Kris, I'd love to see a few words of caution to potential tinkerers who might want to build this circuit as this circuit is connected to mains and not everybody will understand what you mean by "double isolation" and what a "fusible" resistor is.

Harald Kapp, Nov 11, 2014
    davenn likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. KrisBlueNZ

Arouse1973 Adam

Looks an interesting circuit Kris. What's the reasoning behind the type of quadrant switching you have used for the Triac? Is it so there is no mains output until you have a load connected and this will also commutate the opto Triac driver. I have never seen it done this way before so just curious. I am also guessing you don't need a snubber circuit then?
    Adam

Arouse1973, Nov 11, 2014
  4. KrisBlueNZ

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Interesting circuit Kris. An old boss of mine had designed a simple circuit to power his water heater's recirculating pump by a momentary push button which was set via a "single-shot" relay whose time was also set with a potentiometer. The button was mounted in his bathroom and was set for 15 minutes. He estimated it to save him a very significant amount of money in utility costs.

@KrisBlueNZ

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng, Mar 2, 2015
  5. KrisBlueNZ

KJ6EAD

I don't see the customary notation that C1 be mains rated nor any resistor wattages.

KJ6EAD, Mar 2, 2015
  6. KrisBlueNZ

Tha fios agaibh

Nice circuit ChrisBlueNZ, seems like a great way to save power and add some temperature control for resistive loads.

I wonder if you have plans for this, or just something your tinkering with.
    It probably would not fly as a stand alone "appliance power cycler", because you'd never get UL, EU or another nrtl to ok something like this for widespread use. People would be plugging in appliances not capable of handling other than "mains" (or "line" as we call it in USA) power and creating potential hazards.
    But, it could be suitable as an individual device that could be patented, with the goal of supplying manufactures, who in turn would use it in their appliances. They would be responsible for getting their appliance listed, not you.

Tha fios agaibh, Mar 3, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question