Maker Pro
Maker Pro

No AC power from a Powerhouse 500WI inverter generator

alfonsos

Aug 15, 2016
This generator worked fine up until a week or two ago. I have this generator in case of a power outage in winter to run my residential boiler (it takes about 100 watts to run). I haven't had to use it yet, but I have run it consistently so it will be there when I need it. It hasn't been overloaded; I use a 250 watt incandescent light for a load when I run it, 20 - 30 minutes at a time, once a month or so. Now, when I first start it (it's cold), AC power is present (the load light is lit) - the green run light is on. After several minutes the AC power disappears (the light goes out), the green run light disappears and the red overload light comes on intermittently. If I turn the generator off and restart it, sometimes the AC power will be present, but will quickly disappear (again, green run light out, intermittent overload light). Subsequent restarts (generator is warm) result in reliable absence of AC power, and intermittent red overload light.

DC power is always present. It appears that when I first start generator DC Volts measures 14 - 15. After it's warmed up, it measures 17 - 18V. Nominal DC is 12V.

I'm wondering if this is fixable. I'm thinking the fact that I have DC, perhaps out of range DC, is a clue to the generator's AC behavior.

Any insight or direction is appreciated.

Thanks!
Al

debe

Oct 15, 2011
The 12V DC output on these types of generator will go to 18v with no load, they are not voltage regulated. I suspect the fault is in the Inverter module & they are unrepairable. Its cheaper to buy a new generator.

alfonsos

Aug 15, 2016
The 12V DC output on these types of generator will go to 18v with no load, they are not voltage regulated. I suspect the fault is in the Inverter module & they are unrepairable. Its cheaper to buy a new generator.

Thanks for the response, debe. I was hoping against hope that the DC was out of range and causing squirrely behavior in the downstream inverter, and a fix would consist of simply replacing or duplicating the rectifier bit. Oh well.

Thanks again,
Al

debe

Oct 15, 2011
This is a typical Inverter module & a typical circuit diagram of these types of generators. The 12V DC as you can see is unreg, but theres a 12V AC winding to feed the Inverters internal electronics (sub coil windings).

CIRCUIT IX1600-2000.jpg

INVERTER_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

alfonsos

Aug 15, 2016
"This is a typical Inverter module & a typical circuit diagram of these types of generators. The 12V DC as you can see is unreg, but theres a 12V AC winding to feed the Inverters internal electronics (sub coil windings)."

Live and learn: there's 2 different 12V DC sources in these generators. I notice from the diagram that the inverter module is represented as a black box. Does that emptiness relate to the "Patent..Copyright.." reference in the 2nd photo?

I'm unclear if an inverter generator is even necessary for most loads. I bought one because I was worried that during an extended outage the inductive device (circulator of the boiler) might overheat and fail with the power from a standard generator. Large standby generators aren't, far as I know, inverter generators and one doesn't hear of them frying appliances and devices. I imagine, though, that their power is pretty well regulated. I don't rule out that inverter generators essentially represent a bill of goods. Maybe I'd get along just fine with a standard generator. Maybe most of us would.[/QUOTE]

debe

Oct 15, 2011
Personaly ive seen more Inverter generators fail than conventional generators. Conventional generators are usualy cheaper to repair.