Maker Pro
Maker Pro

newbie, what to read?

nulik

Feb 9, 2016
Hi,
I want to create my USB v3.0 hub, with integrated circuit from Microchip. Also I want to add PCI interface to this hub, so it can be inserted into PC. But I have very little knowledge of electronics, what do I read to quickly get into this world? I have looked at some tutorials, but they mostly are talking about battery chargers or power supplies, this is not what I need, I need to understand how to make 2 integrated circuits to work together, what resistors and capacitors to use, where exactly should they go and the most important question: why do they have to be there in the first place ... and so on...

Any recommendations on books or tutorials to _QUICKLY_ get into the advanced stuff?

TIA
Nulik
p.s.
I did a power supply at school, that's my only experience in electronics.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
"I have very little knowledge of electronics"...
I wouldn't go into this kind of project.
I think it way above the knowledge you currently have!

In any case, the HW is the least of your problems writing the driver software and debugging it is much more complicated.

And above all you can buy this "card" for almost nothing...

Read this to learn about USB in details

nulik

Feb 9, 2016
And above all you can buy this "card" for almost nothing...
Read this to learn about USB in details
It is for learning! I want to learn, and the best way to do it , is to make your own circuit. I have chosen this application because the info and help should be widely available.
That link is for USB only, but what I want, is to understand how to join the integrated circuits together and how to pass data from one to another ??? Is there any books or tutorials or videos on youtube?

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Here is a PCI link.
You must realize that unlike USB, PCI has no backward comparability between the different types of PCI .
You will have to decide first which kind of PCI you are going to adopt,
and than learn the details of each interface and combine them...by yourself.
And, by the way, how good are you at PCB design?

Good luck.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Nulik,
you don't need that machine! it is a waste of money and will not help you.
What you do need to know however is to design and layout a PCB, that is not a trivial thing at all...

Learn about USB and PCI, then think about how to connect them together.
Do it on paper and in concept then come back and discus it here.
Physically building that card isn't what you need at your level of knowledge...

Last edited: