Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New to electronics. Toaster Oven disassembly question

E-Ren89

Jan 7, 2018
I have little to no experience with electronics. However I would like that to change. I have a love of building and making things.
My newest project is to make a Vacuum Forming Machine. A tutorial I found through instructables.com shows how to make one using the heating components of an old toaster oven.

As you can see in the photos, I have disassembled this old Toastmaster Toaster oven. However I am not sure how to continue on. I do not want to break anything. I have to get the four rods out along with any wires needed to transfer to the oven box of what I am making. I was hoping you guys can help me out and guide me through the necessary steps? I believe it is a simple task even a beginner with no prior knowledge or experience can take on, I just need to be shown what to do.

Thanks

IMG_7230.jpg IMG_7251.jpg IMG_7252.jpg IMG_7255.jpg IMG_7256.jpg IMG_7257.jpg IMG_7258.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7259.jpg
    IMG_7259.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7260.jpg
    IMG_7260.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7261.jpg
    IMG_7261.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 73

E-Ren89

Jan 7, 2018
As far as what it should look like, here are reference photos I am following from the instructions. This is how they should be installed in the box. Here is one of the box and then with the elements inside after

FJ14Y0QHUL8WM4W.SMALL.jpg FWFCH6TGZACIL8Z.SMALL.jpg

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Looks like those elements have had connections 'spot welded' to them. They will have to be cut off and the sides of the box bent apart to allow one end to be removed before pulling the whole element out.

Your problem will then be reattaching a connection as the element wires will most likely be un-solderable. I can suggest you get a piece of choc-bloc (screw terminal) and remove the screws allowing you to slide the brass 'barrel' out of the plastic housing. You can then refit the screws and use one end to tighten onto the element, the other for your interconnecting wire.

Use a good quality choc-bloc - one with decent threads on the screw holes and lots of 'body'. If you can, use quality CRIMPS on the ends of the elements instead.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
The first concern I would have with that project is SAFTY !
Fire hazard and electrification hazard.
Since you say you are practically a novice take those very seriously!
This project tends to go the improvisation way which in most cases defies safety.

So take extreme care!
In addition I think buying those heating elements new with proper connectins (electric parts shop)
would be much simpler.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I've done something similar to add more heating elements (from a toaster) to a toaster oven to make a reflow oven.

This isn't electronics :). It's mechanical hackery convinced with mains wiring.

Be very careful that you don't short anything out, and ensure that metal surfaces are grounded. If you do get a short you'll blow a fuse rather than electrocute yourself or someone else.

Also, you may notice that the different elements have different resistances. The ones with lower resistances will get hotter with an equivalent voltage across them.

If the elements were initially in series, keep them that way. They may get very hot and have a vastly shorter lifetime of you don't (and the current they draw will be much higher).