Maker Pro
Maker Pro

New Career?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Time to change the light bulb, you might want to hire a pro :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
ahhh yes :)
an oldie but a goodie

I had a feeling I posted that here several years ago

... wanders of to look :)

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
lol naaaa

he has skills that I dont ;)
not sure that i would need or want them tho, haha

Dave

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
is my fear of heights really bad or what? I can't actually watch this without my legs shaking.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Ya have to have cast iron huevos to do that work. During my 16 years as a Bio-Med contractor at a local hospital I also maintained their communications equipment. When the tower light burned out the management inquired what department had the responsibility for its maintenance. The engineering department told them that I maintained the radios and the repeaters so they guessed it was me. I politely told them that they were confusing me with someone else that does not charge by the hour but rather by the foot. That tower was nothing like this beast either! Hell, a few years ago I was only 20 feet up on my extension ladder trimming my trees with an electric chainsaw. My wife was holding on to the base of the ladder but couldn't stabilize it from my legs shaking it violently. This is a far cry from what I was as young fearless idiot! This is why the military would take you at 14 if they could.

Chris

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
is my fear of heights really bad or what? I can't actually watch this without my legs shaking.

I found it much easier to watch it with my eyes closed.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
a few years ago I was only 20 feet up on my extension ladder trimming my trees with an electric chainsaw.

I have been up on 40 foot ladders replacing 4 x 8 sheets of plywood siding on the side of chimney stacks that were only 4 feet wide... Lots of fun, especially when you have to remove the sheet, hold onto it, and reposition the ladder on the studs behind it, before you carry the sheet down one step at a time... And it was just as much fun to carry the new sheet up, pop the ladder off the studs and quickly slide the new sheet, into position behind the ladder and nail it... Lotta fun, did it for an entire summer, and I can say I can scare the boogers out of people now with my crazy ladder antics and what I will do on a ladder now and not be afraid...

I honestly don't know if I could or couldn't do this, there is the inherent fear of heights but I don't know if that would stop me from doing this... Can't say it wouldn't make my mind think twice with each step though...

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012

I don't have fear of heights. I have a fear of uncontrolled gravity feed to earth. :D

Chris

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
this has always been my favourite clip but I still don't want to get up that high.... or be the guy doing the work
however watching this clip is what resparked my interest in electricity. don't ask why but it just did

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
yeah those guys really have my respect. seriously freaky huh

Dave

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
this has always been my favourite clip but I still don't want to get up that high.... or be the guy doing the work
however watching this clip is what resparked my interest in electricity. don't ask why but it just did

I've seen this video before and yes it's scary. What I don't get about the video is what the maintenance was. He equalizes the charge between the line and the helo, hops on the line and shimmies along it. Then the Helo returns. He equalizes again and re-boards the Helo. Other than that we have no clue of what the work order was for.

One thing is a certainty in both vids. These guys make very good money and their insurance premiums are astronomical and probably paid entirely by the employer.

Chris

Last edited:

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
When I was in the Army and going through Jump School, the hardest part was jumping from the 34 foot tower.

And you wouldn't catch me on a tower like that without a damn Parachute!

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
When I was in the Army and going through Jump School, the hardest part was jumping from the 34 foot tower.

And you wouldn't catch me on a tower like that without a damn Parachute!

But that's only because you're sane! :p

Chris

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
I'm funny with heights - I get to a point then my body just freezes and refuses to obey any more instructions from my brain :p

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012

I think the Faraday Shield theory as used in this video deserves further discussion. After all the shield is not earth grounded and birds don't need them. That leaves the wild card in the equation, which is the Helicopter, which the suit is grounded to. Who wants to go first?

Chris

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm pretty sure that birds have a low capacitance, certainly much lower than a helicopter.

edit: although I've not actually measured them.