Maker Pro
Maker Pro

need help with voltage

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
I'm trying to increase a 5 volt dc output to 12 volt dc input. It is to run a harmonic wave from test equipment.
The test equipment is limited to 5 volt output. What would be the easiest route to accomplish this ?
I am only looking at a maximum value of 1 amp , more likely less. My resources are limited. Impedance and noise are not a big factor as I'm only using it for a trace signal.Thanks for any feedback !

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Your question is not clear at all. Are you talking about converting a +5 V power supply output to a +12 V power source? Or amplifying a +5 V signal to a +12 V signal with a 1 A output current capability? In either case, what is the wave shape, and what are the minimum and maximum fundamental frequencies?

ak

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
agree with Analogkid ..... your query is very unclear

maybe you should show pic's or block diagrams of what you want the setup to be

what is the test equip ?

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
A half wave 60 hertz sine wave. In my original posting I said 1 amp. Crunching numbers again more like 5 amps.
The signal values are from 1 KHZ to 100 KHZ.
The test equipment is an EICO tone generator. I want to take the outlet of that machine ( 5 volts ) and boost it to 12 volts.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
It's either a fixed frequency at 60 Hz or a variable frequency from 1 kHz to 100 kHz. Not both.

Gotta ask, why do you need a 100 kHz half-wave rectified sine wave at 60 W?

ak

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
Im troubleshooting a hybrid electric car meter. I think I need the variable frequency you mention.
The meters are way expensive and they come into play with emissions testing. You get a credit based on the meter reading that offsets how your exhaust readings are.
Would it possible to just salvage part of a board from a uninterrupted power source box ?
I don't have a lot of experience with electronics and it would be helpful if we could do this in baby steps.
Thanks for any help in getting me closer to my goal.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You are still not making much sense. What is your boosted output driving that requires 5A at 12V?

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Im troubleshooting a hybrid electric car meter. I think I need the variable frequency you mention.
The meters are way expensive and they come into play with emissions testing. You get a credit based on the meter reading that offsets how your exhaust readings are.
Would it possible to just salvage part of a board from a uninterrupted power source box ?
I don't have a lot of experience with electronics and it would be helpful if we could do this in baby steps.
Thanks for any help in getting me closer to my goal.

You are still not making much sense.

agreed

and again as I asked in an earlier post ... draw out a block diagram of how there things are supposed to be connected together

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
i will have to work on the block diagram. Im sorta shooting from the hip on this one. I will see what I can do and try to get back. thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.