Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help with amplifying a light

BrettPitts

Jun 15, 2016
I built a replica fire call pedestal for no particular reason. We use a magicjack VOIP for the home phone. I had hopes of using a bright bulb through a telephone signaler. This did not work because that telephone signaler needed too many volts to initiate the light once there is a call than the VOIP delivers. A landline produces around 40 volts. Some people hack this to obtain free power from the phone company. I did purchase a Phone Flasher:
http://krownmfg.com/shop/phone-flasher/
that only needs around 20 volts and does work with the VOIP. Unfortunately, this phone flasher can barely be seen. Is there a way to use the phone flasher but amplify the power transmitted to power a regular light bulb? I can use power from an outlet or batteries, whatever, but there has to be some device between the phone flasher and light bulb.
Perhaps there is a better device than the Phone Flasher, but after researching for some time, I did not find one.
Thank you for the time and consideration in looking into this situation. I very much appreciate it.

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 108

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
perhaps the easiest way is to put the working unit in a dark box with an LDR. The LDR will "see" the flashing light and can be used to control a larger bulb (perhaps via a transistor and a solid state relay).

BrettPitts

Jun 15, 2016
This is a great idea that I had not thought about. As you can see in the picture, below the telephone is a box wherein I can set the working light and it can interface with the LDR.
Problem is that I do not know how to rig up an LDR that would work with a lamp.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
what is the voltage required by, and the power of the light you want to turn on? What sources of power do you have (e.g. A 5v plugpack)? What experience do you have with mains wiring (if the light requires mains voltages)

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Is the goal to have the light flash when the phone rings?

ak

BrettPitts

Jun 15, 2016
what is the voltage required by, and the power of the light you want to turn on? What sources of power do you have (e.g. A 5v plugpack)? What experience do you have with mains wiring (if the light requires mains voltages)

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with mains wiring. I figured posting this question on a sight like this would be beneficial, and it has, but the solution may be out of my league.
I'd like to power a regular light bulb, probably a LED bulb; therefore, the voltage would be low. That said, I would like to have a bright light, i.e. 100 watt equivalent or 14 watt LED.

BrettPitts

Jun 15, 2016
Something like the attached photo, right?
Problem is I have no idea how to build something like this. I have been looking for somewhere to purchase this device and am stumped.
Does anyone know? Or would someone be willing to build it for a price? (please have mercy on me as I am not a rich man)

Thank you

Attachments

• ldrlght.gif
    ldrlght.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 115

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
that's the sort of thing you can use, however for driving a LED you need a constant current source.

take a look in the resource about LEDs. It has a simple driver using a mosfet that should be able to be driven from a voltage divider using an LDR as you have shown in your circuit.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The device you have is not the right one for your application. While lotsa people on this forum can guide you through designing add-on stuff to compensate, another approach is to fix the problem at the source. Have you looked into the Telephone Signaler 082 from the same company?
http://krownmfg.com/shop/082-telephone-signaler/
If it is sensitive enough, it looks like a much better fit for your application, with less dangerous wiring for you. I emailed them to find out their input signal range.

ak

BrettPitts

Jun 15, 2016
I called to speak with Krown and unfortunately the Telephone Signaler 082 needs more voltage than the Phone Flasher. Perhaps that is why the Phone Flasher does not produce much light? Not sure on that one, but it is the only device I have found that will trip a light.
Previously, I purchased another device similar to the Telephone Signaler 082:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q0AEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
However, this did not work.
I appreciate the thought though. It would be much easier to power it that way. If only there was a way to manipulate the Sonic Alert to need a lower voltage.

BrettPitts

Jun 15, 2016
Nothing happened. I called the phone several times using my cell phone only to hear the ringer but not see the light in any way.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Nothing happened. I called the phone several times using my cell phone only to hear the ringer but not see the light in any way.

it's way past time that you show us some photos schematics of how you have wired things up ... chances are you have just made some wiring errors

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Perhaps you should try it at family or friend's home that has a land-line. At least that way you can determine if your magic jack's (VOIP) ring signal or the device itself is the issue. Perhaps it's defective? Did you return it to Amazon yet?

Chris

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
It just occurred to me that you didn't tell us what phone you're using. I would think that old Bell System (Western Electric) phones would have very different requirements than modern or third party telephones.

Here's some interesting reading for you.
http://www.sandman.com/ringvoltbul.html

Chris

the great potato

Dec 2, 2016
what kind of light bulb is in the phone flasher ? maybe you could use the generated power to push a Ultra bright Led? Just and idea.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
what kind of light bulb is in the phone flasher ? maybe you could use the generated power to push a Ultra bright Led? Just and idea.

this is an older thread and the OP never returned since June 2016
and he never answered the questions the rest of us asked him ;)