Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need a bit help in understanding effect of resistors in circuit

Sabz

Mar 20, 2014
Hello all,

I added few resistors to my circuit and I observed there is a phase translation of 180 degrees. There is not a shift, where my phase was at 0 degrees without these additional resistors its now at 180 degrees. Same wave as before just translation. I did not understand reason behind it. Magnitude of the circuit has also increased following the same trend.

So my question is when phase translation occurs and shape remains same what does it mean?

My circuit is a mixture of capacitors and resistors and to it I attached 2 series resistors and 1 parallel resistor.

Thanks a lot.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Sounds like you have a high or low pass filter intentionally or unintentionally. You will get a phase shift dependant on the difference between you frequency and RC time constant.
Can you supply a drawing of your circuit so it can be analysed properly. With and without the extra components.

Adam

Sabz

Mar 20, 2014
Hi thanks for your reply.

So basically these R1, R2 and R3 are the resistors that I have added. Other RC combinations are matching with the electrodes that I am using in the lab.

Picture 2 is showing difference between simulation and experimental results without using R1,R2,R3 and picture 3 is showing phase.
Blue curve is showing experimental results and Red curve is showing simulations results.
Circuit is a RC network.

Is there anyway you can suggest I can improve this circuit. I basically have to improve my simulation model to match experimental results.

The major problem is I have modelled electrodes correctly but what is the other thing that I am lacking :(

thanks a lot,
Sab

Attachments

• circuit1.png
    circuit1.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 168
  • noncompmag.png
    noncompmag.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 153
  • phasenoncomp.png
    phasenoncomp.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
It would be better if you used standard symbols for the components. Also the curves are not labeled.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
If you tell us what it is suppose to do then I am sure we can help.
Adam

Sabz

Mar 20, 2014
If you tell us what it is suppose to do then I am sure we can help.
Adam

Hi this circuit excluding resistors R1,R2 and R3 is an electrical model of electrodes that I am using. So if you see 2 graphs I have added, blue waveform is showing actual result that I got in lab using these electrodes. It starts around 10 ohm and goes to around 1 at higher frequencies. Red waveform is the results from simulations and you can see its starting from around 6 ohm and stays fairly constant.

I modelled electrodes using Ztrim and confirmed it on Matlab too and they seem fine. I am just struggling with what arrangement of resistors I should add to this circuit to make its output matching to blue waveform that is lab results.

I have now managed to get an output of 6.2 ohm using R1=1000, R2,R3=100 ohm with no phase transition but its not increasing beyond 6.2 ohm.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Ok what is the electrode you are using can you send some details? What are you driving this with, frequency and voltage?
Adam

Last edited: