Maker Pro
Maker Pro

NAD CD Player front panel buttons dead!

insha Khan

Jan 23, 2015
I have an audiophile NAD 565 Bee CD player. Originally the player speeds up intermittently when playing a CD or playing MP3 on the USB port. Also a few front panel button stops working intermittently.
Found out from NAD that they had a bad batch of 'tact switches'.
I replaced all 9 tact switches and now the problem is that none of the front panel buttons work. However all functions on the remote works. The music no longer skips!
I know a fair bit about electronics but very little about repairs. I have been salvaging audiophile vintage electronics to keep them from the junkyard. I end up giving them away to 'needy' poor people once I have it fixed.
Where should I check next?
I am also looking for a good cheap ESR meter.
Thanks!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Start by carefully checking the work you did replacing the tact buttons. Make sure you didn't accidentally break a track, or dislodge a connector, or forget to reconnect something you disconnected.

Did you use any electrostatic precautions when you replaced the tact buttons? Is your soldering iron mains-powered? Does it have an earthed bit?

insha Khan

Jan 23, 2015
All the original tact switches did not have any 'continuity' when checked with an ohm meter. However some of the replaced tact switches have a small resistance reading.(in circuit of course).
I double checked all connections. I had a lot of trouble extracting the tact switches cause the pins were bent. I may have overheated the circuit board.
I did not use any electrostatic precautions!
I am using a Komex 110v temp. controlled soldering station. It uses a 3 prong plug. Does that mean the soldering tip is earthed?
Many thanks for your response.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I get no hits for Komex soldering station. I don't know whether the iron operates at mains voltage or whether the tip is earthed. It's possible you've damaged the components that scan the tact switch array.

Have you checked every track in the tact switch area for continuity?

Can you post a photo of both sides of the board with the tact switches?

insha Khan

Jan 23, 2015
Sorry. It is a Komec ESD 936 60W iron soldering station. It is a knockoff Hakko 936.
I will post the pics when I get back next week.
Thanks!

insha Khan

Jan 23, 2015
Here are pics of the CD player. Leftcircuitpic is the right side of the CD player with the front panel on the right.
leftcircuitboard.JPG circuitboard.JPG leftcircuitboard.JPG

insha Khan

Jan 23, 2015
The front panel switches do not have 'continuity' when checked with an ohm meter. One tact button seems to have a reading but I think the probe must be touching a line circuit.
The remote works perfectly.
Have not been able to find the NAD service manual or schematic.

Nuttree

Oct 7, 2019
Hey Khan,

has you found a solution for the your defect front panel button?

thx