Maker Pro
Maker Pro

My Vacation

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
A week ago I returned from my vacation. My wife and I visited Cedar Breaks National Monument (CB), Capitol Reef National Monument (CR), Bryce Canyon National Park (BC), and Arches National Park (AR), all in the state of Utah. A small sample of pictures follow. Many of the rock formations have names. Sorry I am so late in posting the pics.

1. The three gossips in AR.
2. A double pinnacle in CB/
3. A canyon of pinnacles in BC.
4. More pinnacles
5. Balancing rock, I forget where.
6. "Delicate Arch" in AR
7-8. Still more pinnacles in BC.
9. A friendly tame chipmunk.
10. Another arch is CB.

Ratch
IMG_0004C.JPG IMG_0010B.JPG IMG_0011B.JPG IMG_0012B.JPG IMG_0013C.JPG IMG_0015C.JPG IMG_0016A.JPG IMG_0030A.JPG IMG_0041.JPG IMG_0061.JPG

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
incredible landscapes :)

thanks for sharing

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks for the memories, @Ratch! My wife, my mother, and three of my children I toured the great American West in 1978 as a reward for my graduation from college after ten long years of part-time study. Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, Mesa Verde in Colorado, the Four Corners Monument, Bryce Canyon, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and a one-night-stand in Las Vegas before visiting Boulder Dam were some of the highlights of our month-long Odyssey.

This was similar to a month-long excursion I took as a child when Dad loaded my brother and my mother up in his '57 Chevy in Lake Charles, Louisiana, and drove us in a giant circle to California to see Yosemite National Park, drive through a giant Redwood Tree (since deceased), visit Estes Park in Colorado for a little fly fishing, visit Wyoming and Yellowstone National Park, make a side trip to see Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota, and then on to Chicago, Illinois to see a baseball game before heading back to Louisiana.

We took a lot of pictures on these trips, mostly Kodachrome 35mm slides, but alas most of them were destroyed in a fire.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Great pics.
Looking at how the 'balancing rock' #5 is still perched on the apex of its weather-worn base, I gather Utah does not experience many earthquakes / tremors.
"Delicate Arch" (AR) #6 is similar to one of the 'Rock Scapes' photos of a CDR-based Corel photo database which I've had for many years. (All numbered - no descriptions).
So now I know where some of these beautiful (sandstone?) formations are.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Great pics.
Looking at how the 'balancing rock' #5 is still perched on the apex of its weather-worn base, I gather Utah does not experience many earthquakes / tremors.
"Delicate Arch" (AR) #6 is similar to one of the 'Rock Scapes' photos of a CDR-based Corel photo database which I've had for many years. (All numbered - no descriptions).
So now I know where some of these beautiful (sandstone?) formations are.

The now diminished Kodak Film Company once said that tourists sent in more scenic color film about Utah to be developed than any other state. Now, you know why. There are many other national parks in Utah besides the ones featured in my submission. Of course, nowadays the pics are recorded on micro-memory cards, thereby making film rather obsolete.

Ratch

Vromir

Oct 31, 2019
Thank you for sharing such beautiful natural monuments, for whom we have not had the opportunity to visit ...