Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multimeter Spec

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
I have a meter (ExTech EX505) that I knew was a little of the mark. I have a cheapo Hyelec MS89 that I've had for donkeys for just general about the house stuff or working on my wheelchair,things like that. When I decided to take up electronics I decided to get another meter,the ExTech! I noticed almost straight off it was a wee bit out but as I was just starting out I thought no big deal. I use it only for temperature now but I like it as a meter,how it feels and with big display and easy UI. I have 2 other meters that are decent brand names and accurate,one seriously accurate. I'll never need that kind of accuracy but its nice to have.
I was wondering if anyone knows any company that would calibrate the Extech for me and roughly how much it costs. I know some will boo hoo the ExTech but I like it and would pay to have it calibrated as long as it wasn't too much. I didn't know anything about meters when I bought it and maybe wouldn't have had I but,I have and now like the meter so that's how it goes. On DCv its 0.8% out at 2v and 1.2% out at 5v,7.5v and 10v. I've not checked the other functions but from memory its always a little lower than my other meters. For some reason temperature and resistance are good,temperature especially.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you have one multimeter you are sure of your measurements. If you have two or more you can never be sure again.

Also note that adjustment may be separate from calibration (depending on your use of the word).

There are (generally speaking) three types:
  1. Calibration only
  2. Adjustment, then calibration
  3. Pre-adjustment calibration, adjustment, then post-adjustment calibration.
Briefly stated, calibration is the measurement of a number of known values, with the aim of showing the error in the reading for the instrument.

Adjustment is the process of trying to make the instrument read the known values accurately.

Option 2 is the one you would use for an instrument where you don't know the calibration history of the instrument, or where the history is not important (or if the instrument is being calibrated for the first time by the manufacturer). What you get is a statement of how much in error the instrument is at a point in time. It says nothing about the accuracy before or after this point in time. (Having said that, manufacturers will often quote a calibration interval for new instruments which reflects their confidence in the stability of the instrument).

Option 1 is the one you might use for instruments that are either not capable of adjustment, or are still presumed to be in specification. Again, you get a statement of how much the instrument is in error. However, if the instrument has been calibrated earlier, you can compare calibrations to see how far the instrument has drifted between calibrations. Note that calibration is done at a known temperature, and for this to be useful, all calibrations need to be done at the same temperature, and the instrument must be used at or near this temperature. Armed with a list of calibrations you can determine (approximately) how the drift has affected measurements both between calibrations, and also to project this into the future.

Option 3 is the most expensive, and most conservative option. This may be used for an instrument that is relatively new (and may have excessive drift -- i.e. there is no history of how it may have drifted) or where the absolute error needs to be minimised. Again, this is only useful if there has been a previous calibration. This method allows drift to be estimated both ways (past and future) but also resets the drift back to as close as possible to zero at the beginning of each calibration interval.

Note that readings can really only be relied on between calibrations (type 1 and 3 only). So, if you have an instrument that is within spec at two calibrations (without adjustment) then you can have reasonable assurance that it was within spec between them. Projecting forward, you simply ASSUME this will remain the case.

If a piece of equipment is calibrated and found out of spec, then you can't be sure that readings made after the last calibration and up to this one were in spec. If the equipment is drifting at a constant rate (from a history of several calibrations) you might be able to guess at when the equipment wen out of spec, but this drift information should have informed your choice of calibration interval too (which you've clearly failed to do).

Calibration is expensive. You probably want to do as few of them as possible. But you also want to keep the equipment within the manufacturers specification (or maybe you want to keep it accurate to an even tighter set of specifications). Knowing the drift rate (from history, or using the guidance from the manufacturer) you can then determine a calibration interval. If your quality system will require all batches of product to be recalled if a piece of equipment fails calibration, you have an incentive to have shorter calibration intervals. If your equipment exhibits very slow drift, you may be able to extend them. These are all probably conversations you would have with your quality manager.

A really good example is the recommended calibration interval for new equipment. When a product line is new, the manufacturer may recommend a 3 month calibration interval. Later, as they get more information from doing multiple calibrations on equipment in the field, they may extend the recommended interval to 6 months, a year, or maybe even longer.

How much does it cost? Well, here is a place with some prices for basic calibration. I assume this is calibration only, and you're looking at around $US100 for a basic multimeter. It may be cheaper to buy a new multimeter :)

If you have a multiplicity of test equipment you might decide to have a subset of them calibrated, and compare the others to the calibrated equipment. Alternatively, you might decide to have a set of calibrated standards, and use these to evaluate your equipment. Again, talk to your quality manager :-D

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Let me add ,

If you want to make a meaningful accuracy comparison you should have a device that is at least 10 times more accurate than the one you are testing.

Regarding accuracy ,
the ExTech EX505 isn't better than the Hyelec MS89 !
In fact, the MS89 is the more accurate one.
In DCV the EX505 is ±1.2% +2digits and the MS89 is ±0.5 +1 digit.

So,
all your comparison measurements so far are meaningless!!!

What you can do is buy a DC voltage reference IC with say 10V,±0.05% ,and compare the readings to it.
You can select from here they are cheap (2-5$).

BTW,
I don't know what you use the meters for.
From my experience,if you are not into analog,very accurate stuff,
a 1-2% or so accuracy is more than enough for all practical uses.
Note also that the True RMS feature(costly!) is also not needed!

MS89.jpg

EX-505.jpg

Rixen

Feb 16, 2016
How much does it cost? Well, here is a place with some prices for basic calibration. I assume this is calibration only, and you're looking at around $US100 for a basic multimeter. It may be cheaper to buy a new multimeter :)

If you have a multiplicity of test equipment you might decide to have a subset of them calibrated, and compare the others to the calibrated equipment. Alternatively, you might decide to have a set of calibrated standards, and use these to evaluate your equipment. Again, talk to your quality manager :-D

Jesus, no kidding. He could get a decent new multimeter for that money, the Fluke's for the chinese market are in that range, the EEVblog BM235 too..

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Doesn't really matter what 'new' instrument is purchased..... unless you have the means to PROVE it's accuracy all you have is the manufacturers 'guarantee' that it is supplied and calibrated as claimed.

Even purchasing a 'reference' comes with the same caveats.

It's almost infinitely deep!

Now if there was ONE manufacturer that was the standard source for reference devices (volts and resistance) we might be able to get some clarification! If you bought two to compare!

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
I have accurate enough meters so my tests are definitely NOT meaningless. I also have the 10x accuracy you say I need. I only checked the meter up to 10 Vdc this time too and its still just in spec up to the 10Vdc now you post the spec sheet. I really know nothing about the calibration process so was just looking for a rough idea. I was only looking to get the ExTech calibrated because I like it as a meter and there's no valid reason to have a meter that isn't accurate if it can be helped.

Looks like I won't bother and just use my other meters. I was just thinking if its only £30 or whatever to get it done I would have sent it off but there is a ton more involved than I thought. Its not worth all that grief and like I've said I have accuracy if I ever need it.

Thanks for the replies...much appreciated as always.

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
K_e makes a very valid point too about "Its infinite how deep it can go".

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
Alternatively, you might decide to have a set of calibrated standards, and use these to evaluate your equipment. Again, talk to your quality manager :-D
Lol Steve.....I'll defo have a word with my quality manager!

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
Jesus, no kidding. He could get a decent new multimeter for that money, the Fluke's for the chinese market are in that range, the EEVblog BM235 too..

LOL .....I have the Fluke 177 (made in the U.S.A) & the Brymen 867s so I'll pass on the Chinese number and the EEVblog's meter too although I'd take the EEVblog one if I had to choose 1. The Brymen really are decent meters and look and feel good too. I think the Brymen meters will become more popular among hobbyists and professionals too I suppose as they become better known and more readily available. I for one can highly recommend them.

Rixen

Feb 16, 2016
LOL .....I have the Fluke 177 (made in the U.S.A) & the Brymen 867s so I'll pass on the Chinese number and the EEVblog's meter too although I'd take the EEVblog one if I had to choose 1. The Brymen really are decent meters and look and feel good too. I think the Brymen meters will become more popular among hobbyists and professionals too I suppose as they become better known and more readily available. I for one can highly recommend them.

I never stated they were the best, but merely around the 100$ mark.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Lol Steve.....I'll defo have a word with my quality manager!

Heh, it's shorthand for "this is even more complex".

Having worked in an organization where I worked closely with the quality manager, it's also a shortcut for "welcome to the rabbit hole".