Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motor doesn't work

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Not to ruin the converse, but I have a question.
I bought a greenhouse watering system that is solar charged and times at multiple intervals from 1min every 3 hrs to 30 min every 3 hrs.
Timer plays for 3hrs. The motor isn't running that pumps the water. I opened the case, and found an extremely advanced microchip board with a miniature water pump hooked up to it.
The motor has two wires a black one and a red one, but on the motor case, there is a red spot. but the red wire is connected to the other one. The black is connected to the red one. Could this be the reason the motor isn't working?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Could this be the reason the motor isn't working?
Unlikely. Electrons can't read color coding of wires.

Typically red is used for + and black or blue for -, but that's by convention. Check the voltage on the wires when the motor is supposed to be on. If there's voltage but motor isn't running, it's very likely the motor is defect. If there's no voltage, it's very likely the driver on the board is defect.

This should be a separate thread as it is not related to timers in general.

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
motor ran under 1.2 volts direct, and there is about 1.2 volts at the pinout for the motor.
don't know what is wrong, I even found the sawtooth for the longest length of the timer with my oscilloscope... ain't you proud of me? what am I missing?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If it is a DC motor and connected backwards it would just run in reverse, you mention it is not even running?
Is there any details on the motor itself?
Is this something that worked OK previously or did you get it used?
M.