Maker Pro
Maker Pro

modding a wireless earbud to be wired

pahoogawoo

Aug 10, 2009
I have some schooling in electrical engineering, however i have not had the chance to look at electronics in a while. I am doing a small project and i was wondering if its possible to convert a wireless Earbud (like a hearing aid) which transmits on either blue tooth or an audio-frequency induction loop to be wired and plugged into my music player. I was wondering first is this possible, and second if it is, how would i go about this? is it as simple as taking the wireless antenna out and just soldering a small wire into the same spot as the antenna was?

Does any one have a schematic for a wireless inner ear hearing aid or an inner ear bud?
Thanks for any answers

(please don't ask me why the heck i have decided to do this.. its just something i want to try :) )

fish

Aug 13, 2009
Couldn't you just make a transmitter for the wireless earbud?

If you really wanted to wire it up, you'd need to find the audio level signal inside the earbud - I would imagine that they're pretty tightly designed and will contain an IC which does all of the RF, demodulation, amplification inside a single chip.

If you soldered to the antenna, you'd need to modulate the signal coming from your audio source. So in fact, you may as well just attach an antenna to it and transmit it wirelessly.

There we go. And I managed to not ask why on earth you'd want to do that rather than just buy a normal set of headphones!